Miguel

you walked into the hospital, a bouquet of red tulips in your hand. "hi. i'm looking for miguel diaz," you said to the receptionist. "are you family?" she asked politely. "um no, but i-" you began but the woman cut you off. "i'm sorry but only family is allowed in right now," she said. you frowned at her words, looking sadly at the tulips and card in your hand. you were about to leave when someone from behind you said, "no, no she's with me."

you looked over to see a beautiful woman with curly black hair. the receptionist smiled at the two of you, gesturing for the two of you to go ahead in. "thanks for helping me out back there," you said once the two of you were in the elevator. "oh of course! i'm sure miguel would want his girlfriend to come and see him anyways," she said, placing a hand on your shoulder. "oh um we aren't-" you started, but you were cut off by the elevator doors opening.

sure you liked miguel, and you've had a crush on him for awhile now, but miguel didn't even know who you were, let alone know about your crush. when you had decided to bring miguel flowers and a card today, you weren't expecting to meet his mother, and you definitely weren't expecting her to call you miguel's girlfriend. you weren't really sure what to say to ms. diaz as she led you into miguel's hospital room. standing over him was an older woman, who was talking to him in spanish. ms. diaz said something to the older woman that you didn't understand, but they both looked at you with bright smiles after that. "we'll leave you two alone. he can hear everything you say," she said before the two of them left the room.

you stood there awkwardly for a moment, eyes glancing over the many cuts and bruises that adorned miguel's body. you gently traced the top of his hand with your finger tips, before pulling away. "what am i even doing here?" you mumbled, looking down at the tulips and card in your hand. "you don't even know me," you said looking at miguel. you stayed silent for a few minutes, debating on whether or not you should just leave and never come back.

you were about to walk out of the room, gifts still in hand when miguel's grandmother entered. she placed a comforting hand on your back, guiding you over to miguel's hospital bed. she didn't say anything to you as she grabbed the tulips and put them in a vase on his bedside table along with your card. she smiled at you, gesturing to miguel. you nodded your head, smiling softly at her, as she left the room, satisfied at the outcome of the unspoken conversation.   

you took a deep breath before talking to him, "hey miguel. it's um y/n, we have math and ela together. originally i was just stopping by to drop off some flowers. red tulips, they're my favorite flower, so i thought you would like them. um your mom saw me downstairs, talking to the receptionist, and she told me to come up with her. i'm pretty sure she thinks i'm your girlfriend, but don't worry i'll tell her we aren't together. anyways i better go now, but keep fighting okay?" you rambled. you looked at miguel one more time before leaving his room.

you never did end up telling ms. diaz, who insisted that you call her carmen, and yaya that you and miguel weren't together. every time you tried the two would just laugh and say that there was no need for you to feel shy about your relationship with miguel. Despite everything, you still ended up coming to visit miguel every other day, bringing a new bouquet of tulips when needed, which is how miguel found out about you when he woke up from his coma.   

"miguel your friend demetri, i think, dropped off this comic book for you," carmen said as she walked into his hospital room. miguel looked up from the card he was reading, nodding at his mother's words. She put the book on his bedside table with his many other gifts, looking over at the vase of tulips from your last visit a few days ago. "aw these flowers are getting old," carmen noted and miguel nodded in agreement. "yeah. thanks for bringing those by the way. they really help brighten up the room," he said.

carmen only smiled at the boy, shaking her head. "i didn't bring them, your girlfriend did," she answered. miguel's eyebrows furrowed at her statement because last time he checked, he didn't have a girlfriend. "she comes in every couple of days to bring you a new bouquet of tulips and talk to you. she's so sweet," his mother continued gushing about his so called girlfriend. meanwhile miguel sat wondering who this mystery girl could be. was it sam? maybe even tory? he was about to ask his mother but he was interrupted by the nurse's arrival.

it's been a couple of days since your last visit with miguel. you had some school work to catch up on, but you were able to come today, bringing a new bouquet of tulips and a tupperware container of brownies for carmen and yaya with you. "hey miguel i-" you started, but you stopped at the sight of miguel sitting up watching tv. his eyes instantly turned to you and you blushed at his intense stare. "oh uh hi miguel, i didn't know you were awake," you said awkwardly, shuffling your feet. miguel just stared at you quietly, unsure as to why you were here since the two of you never really talked. "um i'm y/n. we have math and ela together. anyways i just brought some new tulips and some brownies for your mom and yaya," you explained, walking into his room.

miguel slowly began to put the pieces together. you were his 'girlfriend'. you sat behind him in math and ela, but he's talked to you a few times while doing group work. just from those conversations he knew that you were extremely smart, caring, and sweet. honestly he wasn't surprised to see that you were the one visiting him because it just seemed so in character for you.

miguel didn't say anything, so you just smiled at him before fully entering the room. you moved to replace the tulips, and set the brownies down on his table. "so you're the one who's been bringing me flowers?" miguel asked, and you nodded your head shyly. "that means you're also my mystery girlfriend," he continued, a cocky smile on his face as your blush made another appearance. "oh right about that," you started but you were interrupted by carmen and yaya. "y/n! there you are! we were starting to worry about you!" carmen exclaimed and you were pulled into a tight hug by her and yaya.

you ended up staying to visit miguel for a couple of hours, and miguel would be lying if he said that he wasn't sad to see you leave. out of everyone who came to visit him so far, you were the only person who hadn't brought up the accident. instead you told him about what was going on at school and the latest gossip. in fact that's what you were doing right now, a couple days later.

"so becky's single now," you explained and miguel nodded his head in understanding. "speaking of being single and relationships, why do my mom and yaya think you're my girlfriend?" miguel asked curiously. "i'm not sure why they think i'm your girlfriend, but i understand why it can come off that way," you started and miguel just raised his eyebrows at your words, a silent plea for you to continue. "oh don't give me that look. why else would some random girl show up to the hospital with a bouquet of flowers?" you asked, and miguel chuckled at your words. "so that answers why they think we're together. i guess i'm just confused as to why you came to see me in the first place?" miguel asked, looking at you with his brown puppy dog eyes.

you were silent for a moment, debating on whether or not to tell miguel about your feelings. ultimately you decided that you owed him that much, as an explanation. "look miguel, i like you a lot. i have since the first day you walked into west valley high. but then you joined cobra kai and got popular, and well i'm not, so i never said anything. when the whole fight at the school happened i watched as you fell from the stairs and i realized that i might have lost my chance with you. so i decided to bring you flowers and a card, which explained everything, but the receptionist wouldn't let me in. your mom saw me and i guess she thought that i was your girlfriend, so she told me to come with her. then i met yaya and both of them were really excited that you had a girlfriend and i couldn't-" miguel interrupted your rambling with a gentle kiss on your lips.

of course he had read your card, and he already knew everything that you were telling him, but he wanted to hear you say it. reading your words and hearing them were two different things. both helped him realize that he liked you too, but he just couldn't put two and two together. sure miguel might have liked sam and tory at one point in his life, but he always liked you, he just didn't know it, until now. hearing you say that you liked him, was all he needed to validate his feelings for you.  

"i like you too y/n," he said when you pulled apart. "wait really?" you asked him. "really," miguel answered, grabbing a hold of your hand. you smiled gently at him as he placed a kiss on your cheek. so the two of you sat there, together, talking about anything and everything. it's a good thing tulips represent a perfect and deep love.