fifty-seven

"Sweet Pea," Harper muttered in pure astonishment, her eyes dancing upon the scene displayed in front of her, "This is gorgeous!"

The girl turned to the raven-haired boy, who stared back at her with a nervous grin, "I take it you like it?" He raised his eyebrows.

Harper scoffed, a broad smile painting her face, "Like it? I love it!" She threw her arms around his neck with a laugh, "I can't believe you did this."

"It wasn't all me. Fangs and Toni helped." He replied. His heart filled with warmth as his arms tightened around her frame just a bit.

Breaking from the embrace, Harper gazed up at him, a certain glint dazzling in her eyes. "Still, it's lovely."

Sweet Pea let out a breath, his smile only growing as he looked at the girl in front of him, "Well, shall we feast, my fair maiden?" He asked in a posh accent, holding his hand out to her.

A giggle bubbled from Harper's mouth, making Sweet Pea's heart flutter. It was like music to his ears.

She placed her hand in his, butterflies dancing in her stomach as she looked into his eyes. "We shall, my dear." She replied in the same accent.

The two teens sat in the middle of the checkered blanket, Sweet Pea placing the cooler and picnic basket contents out as Harper admired him from her spot.

The soft yellow glow from the fairy lights illuminated his sharp features, a smile grazing his face as he mumbled to Harper the food he'd brought out. Harper analyzed how his plump lips curved up into a smile as he showed her the things he knew she enjoyed, how his brows would furrow every now and then when he tried not to spill the food, and how his nose would scrunch when he almost did.

He looked utterly beautiful.

The boy looked at her, a slight smirk forming on his face, "Take a picture. It'll last longer."

Harper rolled her eyes, lightly shoving the boy's shoulder. She huffed dramatically, "Shut up."

━━

A while later, after the couple finished eating a delicious meal, they lay next to each other, staring at the stars above.

Their hands linked together as they chatted, both having pink dusted cheeks every time they caught the other staring.

Sweet Pea was absentmindedly drawing circles on Harper's hand, his lips curved into a wide grin, "You know, I feel like I can be myself around you." He murmured softly to the girl.

Harper shifted, turning on her side to get a better look at the boy, her eyes sparkling in delight, "You really mean that?"

"I mean, yeah. Why wouldn't I?" His head tilted to the side, and he raised his eyebrows. Harper thought he looked adorable.