No Regrets

The military don't start wars,
Politicians start wars.
- William Westmoreland.

****

There was a man, he came back from war with a brave lore . His daughter ran to him, squealing, "Papa, Papa, you're back!!", Joy, oh so evident in her voice. Tears came running, uninvited from his eyes, people said watch a brave man cries. But he was too much into it, he didn't care a fit. So many days he has waited, to look at those brown big eyes now getting his story narrated. Nobody can ever tell how much all in front of him meant. These were the eyes which kept him alive , these were the eyes which were calling him home. The smile on her lips , he'd say, was the warmth not the hottest volcano could give. 

When he was stuck on the freezing mountains, all companions lost on the way, nobody knew of his whereabouts, he was close to giving up his vows, when the voice inside his head spoke up like the first morning of the spring, everything seemed to lit up. It said, "Papa come home, I'm waiting." She was the reason he fought his fate, he knew at that moment he've been fighting tirelessly for his state, now he wanted to fight for his daughter he knew who awaits. But never once he wished he'd stayed back, he knew what he was doing when the last time he left his home resigning to his fate, he knew he may never comeback, still he left so that others like him can see their daughters evolve. 

The memory of his daughter and the pride he held in being a soldier was what kept him put, to go on and answer those who proved to be a threat and which he took. A month went by, like a blink of an eye. He never wasted a second, and stored all he could in his heart, for next eleven months he will be spending apart. 

His wife asked him when will he be back home?, He answered, "The day I took the vow to protect my country, I knew my life has changed and so is my home. My life isn't mine but of those laying in their hearth, trusting me to shield them for every life is worth. My home was shifted from inside the boundaries to on the borders, that is where I belong and I wish you to support me all along." 

He left again, his family on tears, because he knew one day his daughter will be proud, her father could defeat all his fears. He would be there again, in the heat and the cold. He smiled again, when he saw his country's flag waving bold. He was called again for a duty on the war, without hesitation he went along, 'cause he would protect everyone he'd sworn. He was not afraid of the bullets and the bombs they threw, he knew he could do that for his people, he never frets, even while losing his life he had No Regrets. 

****

This marks the beginning of my new book, I hope you enjoyed!

Love,

K.