Chapter 3: Shedding Light

"So uh... You got a name?" Vinnie pulled you out of your thoughts. "Huh?" It seemed like this walk was going on forever, probably because you spent most of the time worrying if you offended Stone. You didn't even realize Skipp was talking your ear off. In your defense, he did ask you if you remembered anything. But that mansion you mentioned seemed like a touchy subject. "She's asking you your name silly! What is it?" "Oh! Right, sorry. It's Y/N." "Well it's a pleasure doin' business with ya Y/N." "Uh, thanks I guess."

Skipp decided to continue the conversation. "So how did you get so lost?" Panic clouded your head again. Do you just tell these people that you were naïve enough to fall for an obvious trick? You didn't want to look stupid. You never did. That was a natural side effect when your parents taught you to always -and I mean always- be charming. Graceful. Submissive to peers. Witty. But not too witty to where you'll look like a know-it-all.

And the all time favorite line of theirs: you will ruin everything if you fail.

You made a drawn-out sigh. "It's... kind of embarrassing." "Aw come on. I'm sure it's not that embarrassing." Even though Skipp tended to be overly-positive, you learned it helped you a bit to talk.

And beyond all that learned behavior, there was a little voice saying, "You'll most likely never see them again. What does it hurt to tell them?" Plus, you needed to vent anyway. "...Okay. Well, since we're new and all, my mother wanted me to get to know the other rich kids." Your mind flashed back to those cold looks they gave you. "One of them suggested that they should give me a tour and apparently show me "the best stops in town". I thought it would be fine for the most part. But... they brought me to an empty area and said it was a market place reserved for the rich and-"

Vinnie made a snort. "And you bought that garbage?" You stopped yourself, "This was a mistake." Skipp thought differently, "No! Keep going! I wanna hear what happens next." You gathered up the courage to finish. "Um, they said it was reserved for the rich. And this jerk "Hildie" or whatever her name was, pushed me to a stall to distract me. And when I turned around... they were gone. And now we're here." You felt your throat tighten up again, but you forced it down. This wasn't a therapy session.

It was quiet for a few moments. Then someone just had to make it worse for you.

"Wow... That is embarrassing."

"Vinnie!" Skipp actually scolded her! But you cut in, "No, she's right. At least I found you guys. Well, I guess you technically found me. Um, thanks again for this." Vinnie corrected you, "Thank Stone! He's the one who actually knows where we're going." "Then why are you coming with?" "It's just something we do. Ya know, stick together. And let's be honest, without us he'd be dead in an alley from being black-out-drunk."

That took you a bit by surprise. Although the more you thought about it, the more it started to make sense. What also took you by surprise is that you wanted to know more about them. They were by far the most interesting bunch you've met. They were different, and maybe you liked that.

"So, how long have you been sticking together?" "Dude! Don't get me started! Okay, so I found Skipp when I was..." You don't know how long those two could talk, but it was kind of refreshing to not depend on yourself to keep the conversation going. The only problem was that Stone was mostly silent the whole way. He only gave one word answers when Skipp asked if you were almost there. You sort of wanted to apologize. Even if you didn't know what you did wrong.

Vinnie and Skipp were just talking at you at this point, so you slowly caught up to Stone while the other two didn't notice. He felt your presence and turned his head to give you a side eye. "Oh boy." you thought to yourself. How were you gonna start this? Once he faced the front again, you attempted to break the ice. "Um, thanks for helping me out back there." He answered with his back turned to you. "For what?" "Uh, with Vinnie. You made her lower the price?..." "I didn't make her do anything. I just want this to be over with."

Your heart sank, but you still wanted to clear the air with him. No matter how painful it would be. "Can I say something?" "It already seems like nothing's gonna stop you." What was this guy's deal? "Right, anyway, did I... say something to offend you? Cause if I did I'm really sorry." Instead of breaking the ice, you shattered it. He visibly got more annoyed, "No. And would you stop apologizing? It doesn't do any good here." He walked ahead of you to be alone.

You stopped in the middle of the street, looking like a whipped dog. Unbeknownst to you, Vinnie and Skipp were listening to the whole thing. It's not everyday someone other than those two tried to talk to him. You were feeling worse than before. Now you definitely think you've done something wrong. "Hey, don't sweat it. He's always like this." Vinnie was actually being helpful to you. "Yeah! He may not seem like it, but he's actually one of the bestest friends ever!" You gave them a small smile. "Thanks."

After a little more walking, and a lot more complaining from Vinnie, (apparently she couldn't get her "best scheme making" happen when she stayed up late) you FINALLY made it to the mansion you saw on the way to your house. "We're here." Stone said abruptly. "Yes! This is it!"
"Do you know where to go from here?" Skipp wanted to make sure you were okay. Sweet guy. "I think I do. At least more than the way to this mansion." Vinnie whistled at the sight of it. "That's one pretty swanky place. Can you imagine living in that?"

Stone did that stare thing again. "Stone?" Skipp poked his arm. "Let's just go. We did our job." "Hey, we're forgetting one important thing here." "Seeing that Y/N gets home safe?" "No!" You frowned at that. "My cash!" Stone cut in, "Our cash." "I meant our cash." That's right, you had to pay them. "Listen, I'll try to pay you guys as soon as I can. Asking for money from my parents isn't a walk in the park." Vinnie was getting suspicious, "Don't they let you do what they want with it? You said you're rich."
"No... They don't." There was a pause.

Vinnie sheepishly apologized, "Uh sorry. How 'bout we set a time and place? You can meet us at our headquarters by tomorrow." "But I don't know if I can get it by tomorrow. And I don't even know where your "headquarters" are." "Simple, it's by that alley you almost got murdered in. And if you can't ask for it, why not just steal it from them?" You were appalled! "What?? I just can't steal it!!" Vinnie was getting frustrated, "Well how are we getting our dough huh?"

"Huff. I'll think of something okay? But I will pay you. I promise."

Vinnie looked you square in the eye, spat on her hand and held it out to you. She doesn't play around with her money! You hesitantly put your hand in hers. Cringing while you did. "Glad we could come to an understanding! Sayonara Y/N!" All three turned on their heels and left. "Bye Y/N!!!" Skipp waved frantically at you. You waved back at him. Out of all three he was definitely the nicest one. "Good night."

But as you headed down to your street, you saw it was actually early morning. "Ohhhh noooo." You actually stayed out all night! You did not have the energy to face your parents wrath. And what were you even going to say? If they'd let you say anything at all. You estimated it'd be a good couple of hours before they'd let you go.

At least you were home now. You didn't realize how tired you were till now. As you dragged your feet up the stairs, you braced yourself for the impact that would come through that door. You put your hand on the knocker.

"Home sweet home."