Chapter 8: Here Comes the Sun

The first thing you didn't expect was to see your parents standing right behind the door.

  The second thing you didn't expect was that they were actually interested in what you were doing.

  But the real kicker was the third thing you didn't expect:

    You managed to lie to them. Again.

But don't think there weren't a few hiccups along the way.

Of course their first instinct was asking what the name of the school was. And you barely managed to slip by that one. Your exact words were: "Oh, it's kind of obscure. I have a hard time remembering it. They said it hasn't been around for long."

But what you didn't think was that it almost set you up for failure.

Because you told them the fake school was new, your mother didn't know if it lived up to their standards for their "precious child." So naturally she wanted to visit the place.

But there was a fourth thing you didn't expect:

Your father unknowingly saved your ass.

He thought they would be intruding on your chances to make those beneficial connections. If you were going to make some, you needed to learn how to do it on your own. And perhaps a new environment will be the remedy for their wayward child.

That was the first time you ever wanted to hug him.

After more convincing from your dad, your mother eventually agreed. Once that was settled, you told them about the form the driver would bring in the morning. And that you would like to visit it with your "friends" tomorrow.

They were surprised you were so eager to get this started as soon as possible, but that didn't stop them from making this decision. Maybe this new environment was really helping you.

Soon enough they would have the perfect child they always wanted. Someone who wasn't you.

And so, it was all set in motion. The tracks were laid out, and tomorrow you'd be starting a new life.

You were getting tired from the day, so you decided to call it a night.

As you walked into your room, you noticed the mountain of boxes shoved into a corner.

"Ugh."

It wouldn't be long before your parents hired new servants, but you might as well get somewhat organized. At least before your hobo lessons began.

  You crossed over to the smallest box, and carelessly  opened it. But what you saw inside caught you off guard...

   It was your most prized possession.

   Your books.

   You gingerly took out each book and laid it out in front of you. They weren't in the best condition. But that didn't make you love them any less as a kid.

  Your collection included Ancient Mythologies, multiple volumes of History Textbooks, and a couple of Science books here and there. 

   Thumbing through the pages of your books brought back a lot of memories. These were the only things that you enjoyed learning in your lectures.

  You couldn't exactly explain why; but it felt like these books were the key to your birdcage.

These books made you feel like you were traveling along with the heroes of Ancient Kingdoms! Learning about the world and its story felt like it was the only window to look out of!