3 | Reckless Lies | 3

-George's POV-

Is Sapnap that crazy?

My thoughts linger on the look in his eyes. The way he stood, with one hand resting on his sword, but making no move to even wrap his fingers around the hilt. Everything about him seemed to radiate the cold, so vastly different from his usual self.

When I caught his stare, he raised an eyebrow, as if to silently ask if I had anything to say. I tried to ask him the same, figure out what was going through his mind in that moment, but he shut it all down instantly.

All I could do was shake my head, failing to find any helpful words. He seemed to come to the same conclusion, much to my surprise.

I drag myself back into the eerily uncomfortable room, vaguely listening as Karl tries to make conversation with Clay to fill the silence. Clay's hands tighten around his shirt, the action mixed with nervous dread. His thoughts can't be read by Karl, but I can see it all through those eyes.

I try to join in with the conversation in an attempt to seem less concerned, but my thoughts keep dragging me back to what Clay and Skeppy said about those people. They both said that group has the potential to take Techno down, and that they've been after information on the elite assassins for a while now.

I try to come up with a reason for them to do such a thing. Most would want to do it for the power that it brings. Any assassins group would want to for business, knowing that people would definitely go to them if they overthrew Techno and had the money to. They could raise prices to, and become just as, if not richer than Techno is now.

It makes sense why that would be their plan. Would also explain why they were so specific on the information they were after, given what they plan to do with it. Except, either Sapnap or Clay could confirm that this was their motive.

Skeppy came up with one, which I thought so ridiculous I'd tried to block it out the moment he suggested it. Yet now it seems more likely, and I'm starting to think it could be right.

Skeppy confirmed that they want power, nothing more than that as a motive. But he gave a possible next move, one he seemed so certain on that it makes me sick to remember now.

'Just be careful, George.'

'If they have any sense, they'll come for you next.'

~~~

-Nick's POV-

I twirl my pen between my fingers, bored of the conversation. Meetings always go the same way now that Clay is back, except Techno sounding a little more bitter each time his name is mentioned.

Same schedule as usual too. Commissions list, wanted list, rumours, or lack thereof since the old camp being burnt down almost a month ago now. 'Dream' has been 'suspiciously quiet' since, according to Techno, who seems more irritated he hasn't had any new information on him or George since.

Conversation is quick to turn casual after Techno leaves, and everyone is quick to note that Fundy hasn't turned up to the meeting. Some people begin to come up with their own theories as to why, deeming it more interesting than those we've heard about other things around town.

I decide to keep quiet as people discuss possible answers that I already know are wrong. It's strange, really, to listen to a large group of people be clueless on something you know almost everything about. Normally Clay and George, who they're still failing to work out the location of, despite the pair having stayed in the same two places for well over a month.

I'm surprised Fundy never said anything. He's had so many opportunities to mention that I'm friends with the group's enemies, have a room full of people turn on me in a matter of seconds. It's strange, how I dreaded and feared that day every time I saw him, yet now find myself almost wishing he would expose me.

Then I wouldn't have to find my own way to quit, I'd be fired on the spot.

"Is that a soulmate band?" the assassin sat beside me suddenly asks, and I realise my hand has subconsciously fallen to my wrist. They admire the band over my shoulder, giving me a rough pat on the back in congratulations. "Who's the lucky lady? Is she cute?" he quips innocently, and I cringe at the first question.

For a split second I debate lying, then immediately curse myself for even considering it. I like boys, and Karl is my soulmate. He's the perfect soulmate in my eyes, better than any girl could be to me. So why should I hide it?

"They're a boy," I say quickly but confidently, adding a shrug I try to make as casual as possible to hide my discomfort. I watch the assassin's eyebrows knit together in realisation, then nod and smile acceptingly. "Wait, really? Damn Sap, I never knew!" Another pat on the back, this one more encouraging. "Same question still stands: is he cute?"

I happily spend my time talking about Karl to the assassin as we wait for Techno to return. The more I think about him, the more I smile, and it finally begins to sink in that I have a soulmate. The thought still seems so foreign to me, but it's something I'll happily get used to.

"Damn dude, you've really fallen for this guy, haven't you?" the assassin laughs, and I laugh back awkwardly, taking note of how much I must be blushing by now.

It's clear at this point to even me that indeed, I have fallen for Karl. A lot faster than I thought I would too, and I can only hope he will feel the same way once he's got all his memories back and we can hopefully decide on something more official.

He did tell me he loved me...

"Well, you'll have to introduce us all to him sometime," the assassin smiles, giving me a thumbs up before walking away to talk to some of the other assassins. My eyes refuse to leave my soulmate band, too intent on admiring it to acknowledge anything else.

That is, until Fundy enters the room.

I stare him down immediately, wanting to make it obvious to him that I'm watching. It doesn't take him long to notice me, and I smirk at the way his complexion visibly pales when our eyes lock. I let people realise, let their own eyes flicker between the two of us and wonder what has, or is about to happen.

And Techno isn't here to stop anything...