7 | Purple Hyacinth | 7

-Nick's POV-

Entering that room is terrifying.

I can't remember the last time I did this. Probably after some argument with Clay, where we both were so fast to apologise to each other.

Neither of us had our soulmates back then, no other friends to turn to. Nobody, except each other, and I think the fear of being left alone kept us on good terms with each other.

Yet here I am now, faced with someone who isn't Clay, and a problem much worse than the usual.

I desperately want to believe what Clay said, that Karl will be more willing to believe me than I think, due to the connection we have. There's got to be a reason we're soulmates, some reason I was paired with him despite what I've done.

If the system can choose who we're best suited to, it must be able to see ahead of us. Know all future events, which means it must've known about this one too. It wouldn't pair me with Karl if he wasn't going to forgive me...

...right?

The thought does nothing to settle my nerves, which only become worse when I realise Karl is still asleep. He lays facing me, features contorted in what looks like discomfort. I carefully step closer to him, telling myself over and over that I can't mess something else up. It seems to work, as I manage to reach the sleeping boy's side without waking him, sinking against the wall and waiting patiently.

This feels all too familiar. Like the first time I met him, the sick feeling of dread I had in my stomach back then definitely present again now. It's like that moment all over again, but worse, this time somehow managing to feel even more uncertain than the last.

My gaze instinctively drifts back to Karl, a tired smile pulling at my lips as I admire him. His hair has fallen into his eyes again, and I resist the urge to brush it away at first. But when he recoils further into himself again, as if in fear, I change my mind.

Slowly, I comb my fingers through his chestnut curls, hoping it provides him some comfort if nothing else.

It certainly makes me feel calmer, at least.

I zone out of the moment, focusing only on the way the soft strands of his hair brush against my fingertips. The gesture thankfully begins to calm him too, and he stirs suddenly.

"Oh, hi Nick," he mutters sleepily, stretching his arms out in front of him. I'm quick to retract my hand, cringing as I do so in silent apology. If Karl notices, he doesn't comment on it.

"Hi," I respond awkwardly, searching for the items at my side. I locate them quickly, tucking them further behind me in case Karl catches a glimpse of them by accident. "What are you doing here?" he asks, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and yawning. I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it cute, loving the hazy morning glow in those hazel eyes.

"Wait, have you slept?" he asks suddenly, watching me in silent concern. I shake my head absentmindedly, deciding I must look just as tired as I feel. Truthfully, I don't think I'd have managed to sleep last night, even if I'd have found the time to.

"That's not good for you," Karl sighs, shaking his head in disappointment. "You need sleep. Why are you here? Go to bed-"

"I-I came to apologise," I stutter in defiance, refusing to lose my chance. "Well, I was waiting for you to wake up so that I could, and I wouldn't be able to sleep unless I do anyway."

I feel a little lighter when Karl seems to understand, not pressing the last subject any further. He doesn't say anything either, so I keep talking.