Chapter 4

Friday aka game night;

Clay's pov;

School had finally finished up for the week. That felt like the longest week ever. I think all the Montgomery drama made it seem so long and depressing.

To be honest I was never really that close with him. I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm not surprised he left our friend group. It felt...inevitable.

In our group, I was closest with Alex, then Jessica and Winston were closest. Then Alex and Winston were also really close. Me and Jess were also starting to get very close, same with me and Winston.

But Monty....he always butted heads with Alex, he never really talked to Jessica much either and I think deep down he found me annoying. The only person he ever really had a connection with in our group was Winston.

Winston always thought Monty fit in our group so well because they both got along. The rest of us tried to get along with Monty. It's not that we didn't like him, but we just never hit it off the way they did. Still sad to see him go though.

I was lying on my bed scrolling through my phone when I got a Snapchat from Alex.

Alex: Hey, can you give me a ride to the game tonight?

Me: Yeah sure I'll be at your house for 6

Alex: Great thanks Clay 👍🏼

I turned off my phone and started getting ready for the game. I know what you're thinking, Clay what do you mean 'get ready for the game'? It's a game and you're not even the one playing.

True, but...Hannah was going to be there. And I actually wanted to make an effort to talk to her. She's on the cheer squad so I might be able to grab a conversation with her at some point tonight.

I put on a nice pair of jeans and picked out a nice button up shirt. I sprayed some cologne on myself and went downstairs.

"Well you look lovely" my mom smiled looking up at me from the table as she did some work.

I smiled in response.

"I'm going to pick up Alex then we're going to the game" I told her. "Alright, have a good time. Text me when it's over" she told me. I nodded and left.

I arrived at Alex's house and texted him to come out.

He came out of his house and I got out of the car, opening his side of the door.

"Such a gentleman" he joked. I laughed and got back in.

Alex sniffed the air. "Are you...wearing cologne?" He asked confused. "Uh... yeah" I nodded. He looked me up and down.

"Why are you dressed so...fancy. It's a football game not a runway fashion show. I look like a hobo beside you now" Alex complained.

I chuckled. "You don't look like a hobo" I assured him. My face dropped. "Wait...do you think I'm dressed too fancy? Does it look like I'm trying too hard?" I asked him sounding stressed.

"Woah chill. You look fine. What's up with you" Alex questioned. I started up the car.

"Just...Hannah's gonna be there and I wanna talk with her. I'm thinking I may have over did it now" I shrugged driving off.

"Girls like when you put effort into things. Shows you care or whatever" Alex told me.

I nodded. "I hope you're right" I sighed.