Chapter 7: Ball and speech

Hermione woke up feeling that every part of her body was hurting. She woke up on the couch this morning, which was a comfortable piece of furniture, but it wasn't made for sleep.

Her body was covered by a soft blanket, and she slowly realized that she was wearing her clothes from the previous day. As she was massaging her sore neck, she remembered the events of the previous day. 

The prison visit, Rodolphus Lestrange and his disgusting cell, Mr. Malfoy's sickness and testimony. His request to stay with him, his proximity... How could she be such an idiot that she fell asleep next to the man? And where is Mr. Malfoy? 

He wasn't in the living room, she found that easy. She walked awkwardly through the premises of her own house, but she could not find Lucius anywhere. He must have gone home. But when? He covered her up and put her to bed... She remembered with certainty that she was sitting when the dream suppressed her.

She shook her head. You need to fix yourself. She took a hot bath, had breakfast and got dressed. In light of the embarrassing events, this time she wanted to be at her best. She didn't want to go to Mr. Malfoy's house, not yet. She gathered herself,  sprayed Flew Powder in her fireplace, and headed to the Ministry. 

She didn't even stop until she reached the Minister's Office, concretely Kingsley's room. She knocked on the door and entered upon the invitation from inside.

To her surprise, Kingsley was not alone: Lucius Malfoy sat opposite to him.

"Ah, Hermione" The minister waved tiredly, pointing at the chair next to the blond man. "Take a seat. Lucius has already reported on the developments. Just like Hugo Regensdroll... Beating an inmate to death... Are you out of your mind, Lucius? That's not how we get information out of our opponents."

"Not even in my circles. I prefer to use my wand," the man ironized, with a cold smile on his face.

"But Lestrange insulted Mr. Malfoy!" Hermione snapped. "He said terrible things to him and his family."

"Thank you, Granger, but I have already outlined the situation to the Minister," said Lucius softly. 

Hermione saw deep trenches under the man's eyes and looked tired and skinned.

"Of course he did! For Merlin's sake, this man is one of the most dangerous criminals!" Kingsley murked with a temper. "I voted for you with confidence. I took you to the Order. We turned a blind eye to your old deeds. But you really can't expect me to cover up your vile actions."

"I don't expect it," he grumbled, staring at himself.

 "Are you punishing Mr. Malfoy?" asked Hermione shocked.

"You sound like you're not perfectly familiar with magic law. We don't interrogate prisoners with corporal chasm. And as a matter of fact, no one." Kingsley said. "You get a fine. Just this once.  But I warn you, Lucius, one more time like this and the deal is over!"

Malfoy looked at Kingsley like he was watching an angry little kid. He shrugged his shoulder and leaned back. Apparently, he didn't care about punishment in the least. For many minutes, the minister looked at the man with a penetrating gaze, and finally shook his head and spoke again.

"Let us switch to a more important topic. So you're saying your hypothesis might be true? Did Voldemort really make horcrux from Lestrange's property?"

"I'm sure he did. Rodolphus himself has been informed of this. Based on what you said, I'm sure you know about the unres wreaked soul. He's waiting for the Lord to return. He said he would receive a royal reward," Lucius said.