Wolf among the lambs

Chapter 4 - Wolf among lambs

The rest of the afternoon was eventless. At one point, Lucius left Hermione alone, and she didn't want to check what the man was doing. For some inexplicable reason, she was sure he wouldn't do anything to violate his deal with Kingsley.

Five minutes before 8:00pm, the man showed up in the workroom. He was wearing a travel cape, and he had his walking stick with him.

"Can we go now?"

"Can we go?! You're a comfortable man, Mr. Malfoy. I, myself, on the other hand, like to get to work sooner than I should."

"That seemed otherwise this morning... I'm sorry, but I don't want to spend more time with your friends than it is necessary. I'm assuming they won't welcome me much happily."

"I can't argue with that," said Hermione, then went out and put on her coat.

She apparated with the man again outside the estate, but this time she determined the destination. As they arrived at the park in Grimmauld Place, Hermione was confused for a moment. She was puzzled by the idea that she had to introduce the man hated by many to the meeting of the Order. It was one thing to spend time alone in relative calm, but she was sure that the gathered would have a few unsolicited words for Lucius Malfoy.

During the afternoon, an owl knocked on the window of the mansion's workroom: the bird brought a note with Kingsley's squat letters that read: The headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix is located at 12 Grimmauld Place in London.

She looked around the street, which seemed unreasonable, and then showed the man the piece of parchment.

"Read it and remember it." 

She was surprised to give instructions to Mr. Malfoy, but even more so by the man's response to this with a disobedicent grimace.

In the end, the block of number 12 appeared before both of them. Hermione hurried up the stairs and answered the door with a little stage fright. As she entered, she heard the sound of the bell of the nearby church; It was eight o'clock.

They passed through the scantily floodlit hallway. Hermione heard a conversation choked from behind a half-open door. She looked at Lucius, who, in the process, looked around the house.

"Well, yes. Narcissa's kinship could live... It is a shame that Black and Potter allowed this long-standing house to be derelibere," he grumbled not to Hermione, but to himself.

"Please, not now," Hermione said in a choked voice, pointing toward the door. "Let's go, let's go!"

As they came into the room, it became apparent that everyone but them had arrived. As soon as those present saw them, they went silent. If they could have killed with their eyes, Lucius Malfoy would have been hit by a series of murderous curses. Hermione felt uncomfortable, like she was in between fires. She didn't want to defend Mr. Malfoy, but in the event of events, she thought the others' behavior was petty.

In the end, Mrs. Weasley broke the silence.

"Hermione, darling," she smiled at the girl, pointing to the free chair next to her. "Come and sit with us."

Hermione looked weakly at the smile, and then looked at Lucius. On some level, it's her responsibility to... But Mr. Malfoy didn't have to be afraid.

"Good evening to you all, too!"He smiled coldly, and sat without question at the head of the table, the closest seat to Kingsley's seat, next to Tonks, as opposed to the chair which Mrs. Weasley had offered Hermione. Finally, she sat down.