Day One

Chapter 3 - Day One

"You can't be serious!" Harry Potter walked up and down in Kingsley Shacklebolt's office shaking his head.

The night slowly turned to dawn, and Hermione felt as if they had suddenly returned four years before that. The news that Voldemort is alive and can be strong at any time has erased all happy memories, all the results that have since been achieved. She was tired, and she knew they had an exhaustive job ahead of them, so she wanted to go to bed as soon as possible, to sleep for a while, so that she could continue to work rested in the morning.

"Harry, please think!" she shook his head impatiently. "At first, I felt the same way as you, but now we are not in a position to think about grievances. We need all the help we can get, and I hate to admit it, but Mr. Malfoy is right. He can provide us with information that would not otherwise come into our possession."

"I'm not going to do that. We would put a weapon in his hand. I can't believe Malfoy's not on Voldemort's side. Yes, he may not sympathize with him right now, but as soon as he smells a little opportunity for power, he would search for his lord in running steps."

"I'm giving the truth..." said Kingsley, and Harry sighed "... with relief to Hermione."

"Wh... What?!" The young man quacked incomprehensibly. "But... Please, Kingsley, think about it!"

"That's exactly what I'm doing, Harry. As much as I see your point, I share your concern in part, I still have to see that we need Lucius Malfoy's information. It's not just your fight anymore, it's the whole magic world's fight. I'm going to put Malfoy in the Order, because it's absolutely necessary to have as many tools in our hands as possible."

"But what if he betrays us? Then what? You can't take that risk either!" Harry resisted.

"We have no choice but to trust him. As the saying goes, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

"I don't think he's betraying us," Hermione tried to calm Harry down. "He's a terrible man, and I've never been set up with him more times than necessary, but I think he's pretty... He is pretty broken. I'm sure all he wants now is peace of mind and no one to kill him."

Harry was ready to answer, but Kingsley raised his hand.

"I consider the debate to be closed at this point," he said. "Harry, we need to talk to my informants. They'll be here in about five minutes. I'd definitely like to ask you to stay. You need to hear all the news firsthand. Of course, I will also inform the members of the order," he nodded to Hermione. "I'll escort you out, Hermione."

She looked at Kingsley, but she didn't say anything, she just nodded. With an encouraging hug, he said goodbye to Harry and then left the room. Her inking was confirmed, Kingsley really wanted to talk to her in private.

"How was Malfoy?"

"It's just the usual. He's a high-hearted, heartless man. But I think he was scared when he heard the news..."

"Listen, Hermione. I know Malfoy probably wasn't very nice to you. I think I made a little rash decision to appointed you to him. It was a bit stupid, I'll give you that. You don't have to do this anymore. Then Remus looks at that man's fingernails, and of course I'll keep an eye on him."

"Kingsley, I'm sorry, but I hope you really don't think I'm not good to the job?!" Hermione snapped with indignity. All of a sudden, she came up with the compulsion to comply with herself, that she wanted to be the best at everything. She did not wanted to fail.

"You misunderstand me," smiled the man faintly. "I know you're a witch of very exceptional ability. But I think that Lucius Malfoy..."

"... is it too hard of a problem for me? No, Kingsley! Please let me prove myself. Just give me a few days. I want to do my part in the war. Because there is a war coming, right? Again... If you're not happy with my results, give me another assignment, but please don't write me down before I prove it."