Chapter 21

It was him...my mom's ex-husband. He was the one that was displayed on the tv as dead...but how?

"Report says he died of suffocation meaning it was a homicide. Signs of struggle were evident as there were traces of hair and dirt imbedded in the deceased's fingernails. Police are still to find the murder who killed this innocent man."

I took off the tv in shock because it was impossible to believe that the man who was here hours ago had died the day after. The last person he was with was my mom's boss but that was since yesterday morning. Who killed him? Why would they want to kill him? Wait...my mom did say if she had her powers she would kill him—

I quickly ran from my room to my mom's room, bursting the door open only to be met with an empty messy bed. Did she actually do it?! There's no way—

I searched the entire second floor but saw no signs of her, then suddenly I heard Toge come out from his room behind me. He didn't look sleepy and he wasn't wearing casual clothes. It was his school uniform, sewed to his liking with the high up collar.

"Did you see my mom anywhere??" I impatiently asked. I wanted to confirm that she wasn't the one that did it because it would be pointless, killing him in such a way. He didn't deserve death but deserved to suffer equally as if he was dying.

"Oh yeah I saw her in the backyard a few minutes ago. You should get ready for school...just let her be. I checked up on her and she looked fine, she just needed space." He said before taking himself downstairs.

I went back into my room and quickly got ready. I didn't even eat breakfast because I was still feeling upset about his death. When I went downstairs I saw my mom in the backyard, she was sitting in the chair looking at the sky. Should I go talk to her? Does she not want to talk to me because of what happened earlier? Did she feel bad?

I was about to go through the backdoor but I suddenly felt Toge's hand on my shoulder.

"I think it's best you leave her alone." He quietly said as he looked into my eyes. Maybe he was right..maybe I should let her cool off.

I backed away from the door and walked with Toge as we went outside on our way to school.

"What's up with life?" I asked generally, hoping for an answer but at the same time not wanting one.

"Not always will there be happy moments but not always will there be sad ones. We'll always go through hard times but we have to be strong enough to make it out." -Toge

Wow, he really is surprising at times.

While we were walking I was reminded of the dare I had given him.

"Did you call him? Yuji, I mean." I playfully asked.

"I actually did call him but he didn't answer." He chuckled in relief.

"Whatever's going on between you two, I think it's best you sort it out and be his friend. I won't always be around to keep you company and I'm sure you get lonely at times." -y/n

He was quiet after I made that remark. He's usually always quiet, it doesn't mean he's not paying attention, he's just quietly observing and thinking. Though most of the times I could read his actions, there were times when he'd do unpredictable things that would get me flustered and confused. He was just unique and interesting as a person in general.

§

When we arrived at the classroom, students were already talking about the death that occurred, causing me to remember how terribly he acted when he was with us.