Chapter Four - A Revelation in the Night

Kaya didn't know what to do. Would it be better or worse for her to shout for help? She gripped the candlestick. She would hit him with it and run. It was a straight path to Dindur. She would find Aron and tell him everything. They could figure it out.

Nivar was right in front of her. She pulled her arm back, ready to use all her strength. He dropped to his knees in a smooth motion and put his hand on her arm, exerting a small amount of pressure. Before she could move, he leaned forward. "Come with me."

Why was he whispering? Did he not want them to be found? He hadn't alerted Grandmother that she was out here yet. His hand gripped her arm a bit more tightly and he stood slowly. She stood up as well. Her eyes never left his. Who was he?

He released her arm, glancing at the candlestick and then back into her eyes. He gestured towards the back door, indicating for her to go before him. She frowned and shook her head. Kaya brandished her candlestick and used it to point at the door. She wasn't going to let him surprise her.

Nivar grinned and bowed before turning and heading towards the back door. Cocky for someone without a weapon. Was he trying to show her he trusted her? Or that she wasn't a threat? It was his mistake. She would use the candlestick if she had to. But first, she wanted some answers.

When they stepped into the rear courtyard, the moon was in full view. There was a light in one of the servant's quarters. She didn't remember whose it was. The other three quarters were dark.

Nivar's, one of the unlit ones, was farthest in the back. They walked quietly, the gentle wind that rustled the leaves and grass covering the sound of their footfalls. When they reached his dwelling, they paused. He turned to look at her and raised an eyebrow. She frowned. What did he want?

He pointed towards himself, then towards her, and then at the door. Did she want to go in first, or let him? She pointed at him. He could go first, but she'd be right behind. He wasn't going to ambush her with anything in there. Nivar smiled and pushed open the door. She followed.

It was dark inside, but with the door open, Kaya could still make out vague shapes. Nivar lit a candle, and she closed the door. It was a one room space. The walls and roof were straw while the floor was flattened earth. There was a woven reed mat rolled up neatly in the corner with a pillow on top. Nivar's chests were spread across the room. She could see the one that hid her picture within. On top of one of the chests was her peace lily.

"My lily!" she said. Nivar turned.

"Yes, I've been meaning to give that back to you. You left it in the back of the cart." He picked it up and held it out to her.

"Put it down there," Kaya said, gesturing with the candlestick. He placed it on the ground beside her and sat down. Kaya slowly sat in front of him.

"So, here we are," he said. "Not how I was envisioning my first day in this house to be. I assume it's a similar feeling for you?"

Kaya didn't want to give anything away. He could be a spy for her grandmother after all. "Enough small talk. Who are you?"

"I'm Nivar, Prince Samriv's first advance guard," he said. Kaya's mouth opened. "It does sound quite fancy, doesn't it?" He smiled. Kaya closed her mouth.

"You're with Prince Samriv? An advance guard?" Kaya looked him up and down. "I've never met a royal guard that looks like you."

"You've never met anyone like me, Kaya." He kept that incessant grin on his face. "I've spent the last seven years travelling with the Prince. He sent me ahead of him to learn more about the people that are soon to be his wife and in-laws."