Chapter Five - A Disheartening Death

The lights in the library were out. Kaya felt her pulse quicken. Somehow, it would have been more reassuring to know they were still in there. The house was completely dark now. She tiptoed up the stairs, staying close to the wall. She could see Grandmother's room on the other side. The door was closed. She must be in bed already.

Kaya edged along the wall and turned the corner. She eased her door open and closed it behind her. She let out a sigh of relief, and the tension drain out of her.

"Where have you been?" Kaya jumped. Her heart leapt into her throat, and she dropped the candlestick. It clattered onto the floor.

Grandmother was sitting on the bed, staring at her. The moonlight coming in through the window lit her gray hair, making her seem like a spirit. Her eyes were hallowed in shadow.

"Grandmother," Kaya squeaked. She took a breath to steady her voice. "You startled me."

"Yes, I see that. Why would you be startled, dear grandchild?" she asked. Kaya suppressed a shiver. The cold voice was nothing like what she'd imagined a doting grandmother to sound like.

"I-I wasn't expecting to see anyone at this time of night. I went to get a glass of water. I couldn't sleep."

"Is that so?" What if Grandmother had gone into the kitchen herself after seeing the guests out of the library? Kaya could feel the cloth on the back of her nightdress sticking to her sweating back.

"Yes, I still felt restless, so I went for a walk in the garden." Kaya faltered. She looked at the floor and saw the peace lily in her hands. "Yes! And I found my peace lily. I decided to bring it up with me."

"I see." Grandmother stood up and walked to the window. The garden was just below. "It appears you enjoy gardening and herbs, as your mother did."

"Yes, Grandmother."

"I wonder how much else of your mother you have in you," she said, turning sharply to look at Kaya once again. "You were in the garden, were you? You must have seen I was awake then?" Kaya gulped.

"Y-yes. Of course. Of course. The – uh – candles were lit in the library. I suppose you couldn't sleep as well, Grandmother? It appears I have some of you in me as well!" Kaya said. She gave an airy laugh. She needed to play her role. The compliant, foolish granddaughter.

"That remains to be seen. Now go to sleep. You must rest and stay healthy before the wedding."

"Yes, Grandmother. Goodnight." Kaya stepped to the side so that her grandmother could pass her on the way out. She did not turn to acknowledge Kaya. The conversation was over.

Kaya placed her lily safely on the desk and fell onto her bed. Her heart was racing. The glass of water from her story would actually be welcome at this moment. Kaya smiled to herself. Tense situations always seemed to do this to her. Made her mind race.

~

The next morning, Kaya found fresh clothes on her bed once more. She changed into the colorful skirt and blouse and draped the shawl around her waist before throwing it over her shoulder. She opened her shutters and looked into the garden. Nivar was already there, kneeling down with his hands in the earth. Kaya's cheeks and ears warmed as she watched him. She shook her head and pushed her feelings down. This wasn't the time for such things. Kaya stepped away from the window though she what she really desired was to wait for him to look up and smile at her.

They were allies. Nothing more. It didn't matter that she had dreamt of him and his smile. She was to marry the Prince. Even if it had been arranged by Grandmother, the Queen had accepted and preparations would be in progress. She headed to breakfast. What would she find? She bid Kirat good morning when she passed her sweeping the stairs.