Chapter Eight - From Smoke into Fire

The next morning, Devan arrived early. He took the boards off Kaya's window. He and Kirat also brought some of Grandmother's clothes and possessions into the room. "What's going on?" Kaya asked.

"I will be staying with you for the next week, and the Queen and Prince will have my room and the guest bedroom," Grandmother said. "We can't have the Queen and Prince sleeping in tents in the fields."

"Wouldn't you rather they did?"

"You're more energetic this morning," Grandmother said. She narrowed her eyes. "Don't get any ideas now."

"What can I do? I'm only a useless doll," Kaya said. She held Grandmother's eye contact. The banter was a bluff. She had no idea what she could do now. She hadn't come up with any plan. The house was filled with strange activities, but other than the secret murder plot she had no inkling of the intricacies lying beneath.

"Get dressed. The Prince will be arriving shortly."

Kaya dressed in a beautiful silk sari. She'd been measured a week ago for a new set of blouses. The one she wore today was green and gold and had a diamond neck shape. Rina did Kaya's hair and pinned jasmine to the top of her braid. Kaya had never liked the smell.

She left the room for the first time in weeks. The house had been transformed. There were flowers arranged throughout the upper and lower floors. There was a new carpet rolled out on the stairs. The house had been cleaned immaculately. Rina did not let her take it in. She grabbed Kaya's arm and led her out the front door. Grandmother and Devan were already there.

In the fields in front and around the house, tents had been put up. There were food stalls and entertainment. She saw a group of dancers practicing. Fingers, feet and heads moving in unison as they carried out their intricate performance. Everyone was here to celebrate the wedding.

Dust appeared on the road. It must be the Prince. His group soon appeared. It was simpler than she'd expected. There was no carriage or large procession. It was only the Prince on a horse and two guards. When he arrived, he hopped off his horse and tied it to a post nearby. He took the time to pat its coat and give it a treat before coming to greet them.

The Prince looked different. His skin was a deep and rich brown, tanned by his travels throughout the kingdom. He was in a simple cloth tunic and airy pants. His shoes were well worn. His strong jaw was covered in a short beard.

"Mistress Heema," he said, before bending to touch Grandmother's feet. Grandmother stopped him before he reached the ground.

"Prince Samriv, please rise," Grandmother said. "It's an honor to have you here. Kaya has been looking forward to seeing you. She said it has been a while due to your travels the last seven years." How did Grandmother not choke on all the lies?

Prince Samriv looked at Kaya and smiled. The corners of his eyes crinkled. She noticed he had a sharp canine. It gave him a mischievous look. "Lady Kaya, it has been a long time. You have become as lovely as the flowers you enjoyed spending your time with when I last met you." Kaya blushed. His words reminded her of Nivar's eloquent way of speaking. Who had influenced whom?

"You are too kind," she said. There was a pause.

"Please forgive Kaya," Grandmother said. "She still spends too much time with those flowers and sometimes forgets how to speak to people. Please come in. Have some water."

"Thank you," the Prince said. He removed his shoes and entered the home. "Before we sit down, I would like to ask where Nivar is."

"Nivar?" Grandmother widened her eyes. Kaya almost rolled her eyes at the acting. "He's our gardener. How does a great prince like you know him?"