Chapter Twenty-Three: Sloane's POV

TW: Mentions of Abuse / Drug Addiction / Alcoholism

I discreetly check my watch and internally groan. I've been here for thirty minutes and this guy is already boring me to tears. After going to jail and being on probation, some of my clients got impatient and found other women to spend their time with. So, I have to rebuild my list and fast. Luckily, a lot of my less desirable clients stayed loyal to me like this charmer, Henry Vamp, but it's been difficult. These men at the lower end of my list, pay just as well but are as entertaining as watching paint dry. I politely nod and sip on my wine as he tells me all the details of his latest purchase, a 400 acre property in Montana, but my mind wanders to my day with Spencer Reid two months ago.

Once Spencer told me he would pick me up from jail, I knew I needed to finalize my endgame. While the back and forth has been riveting, it was starting to get old and I was ready to live my life again without the FBI watching my every move. I made the decision that I was going to let him believe that my time in prison had driven me to be obsessed with him and that I was finally breaking down.

Don't get me wrong, he's nice to look at and I would be lying if I said he didn't cross my mind in that way; but he needs to think that I believe he is what got me through prison. I developed a new personality just for him. I combined my 'real' self, the person I am with my family and true friends, and the version I reserve for clients. For him, I was giddy, girly, soft and bubbly, all things you would expect a blonde haired, happy go lucky girl to be. Basically, I was his version of a manic pixie dream girl.

I purposefully placed one of the photographs of him in the box where he would eventually see. I was coy and nervous when he first picked me up and slowly acted as if I was becoming more comfortable. I played indie/alternative music to solidify this girl. I invited him into my home, knowing that he would snoop around and discover the photos of Nathan and me. I knew he would find only what I wanted him to and that nothing he saw would tie me to the murders. I didn't even remember until I went downstairs after my shower that I have the candles I stole from Gregory Baker's apartment in Chicago scattered around my living room, but I don't think he noticed them.

After I gave him enough time to snoop through my apartment, I took him to my favorite spots in the valley. I wanted to really sell that I was over the fact that he wanted me to still be in jail by opening up to him in this way. I was revealing just enough of myself to make me seem vulnerable but not too much to give him any evidence against me.

When he asked about Nathan at the coffee house, I was thrilled. He was playing into my trap and he didn't even know it. I told him all about how Nathan is aggressive with his clients, he travelled with me, and he was very protective. He got quiet, probably just taking in all the information I gave him, when I saw another opportunity to prove my 'obsession'. I took it upon myself to emphasize that Nathan and I are just friends and that he has nothing to be worried about. He smiled after that and I knew he was falling for my act.

After we got coffee, I took him to the Phoenix Art Museum to see the Ansel Adams exhibit they were featuring. I told him how Ansel is my favorite photographer (which is true by the way) and he rambled off facts about each of the pieces of art we saw. My favorite is when he went into a twenty minute explanation of how Ansel Adams got the shot 'Moon and Half Dome' in the Sierra Nevada region of California's Yosemite National Park.