Chapter Twenty-Four: Spencer's POV

I fall onto the couch in the jet. This case really took a lot out of everyone on the team. The unsub is a 55 year old man who was suffering from a trauma induced psychotic break. Turns out that a year ago he was forced to watch as a masked robber raped and killed his wife. He was left for dead but somehow survived it. He had been going to therapy to help cope with the loss but he snapped when his therapist and him started doing hypnotherapy to relive the night his wife was killed. He started killing men who were people of interest in his wife's case, convinced one of them had to be the man who committed the crime.

I rub my eyes and try to get the images of what he did to his victims out of my head. It always makes it harder when the unsub isn't an evil person but their mind betrays them and causes them to do evil things. I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. I pull it out and see a text from Sloane.

Hey Spencie! I'm in New York City this week, maybe if you're free you can come see me? It's only a three hour train ride, if you're interested ;)

I clear my throat and start typing a response.

Maybe. We just got off a case but I'll let you know.

I know I shouldn't be doing this. I promised Hotch when I got back that I was going to limit my communication with Sloane while we exhaust other leads. But I find myself unable to stop. Even though most of our texts are mundane at best, we've also had really deep, meaningful talks. I've opened up to her about my addiction and my mom and she's told me more about getting through the trauma of her assault. She sends me funny gifs and book suggestions. She even enjoys my random facts that I send her and I've started looking forward to our daily interactions.

I have to constantly remind myself that she's a possible serial killer and the reason we met is because we're accusing her of potentially killing four or more men. But even with those reminders, I can't help but wonder if we had met in a different way, and she wasn't being accused of these awful crimes, would we have been something more?

I mean, if our day together in Arizona taught me anything it's that I do have a good time with her. She pushed me outside of my comfort zone and I genuinely had fun that day. She was different that day. She wasn't cold or calculated in her words or actions. She made jokes and laughed at mine, let me talk about Ansel Adams for hours, and even got me to dance. She gave me a glimpse into her world and I got to say, I liked the view.

My phone buzzes again, causing me to shift my focus back to the present.

Well let me know! I'm a very busy woman, you know. But I'll make the time for you... Maybe

I shake my head but I can't help but smile. If I can get this weekend off, I might just go. I mean, a weekend in New York City with Sloane could actually be a lot of fun...

No, no I can't go! Even if I wanted to she's somehow tied to a string of missing persons cases and possibly murder. I can't be with her, not in that way at least. I shake the thoughts out of my head and look up to see the rest of the team boarding the jet. Hotch is the last to get on and I can tell by his facial expression that we're not going home just yet.

He sighs and quickly glances at the team, "there was a body discovered in Florida that has been identified as Bently Turner."

"Bently Turner?" Tara asks, "isn't that..."

"One of the missing men in the Williams case," Hotch finishes Tara's sentence and nods, "We're going to do a quick stop in Florida, just long enough for Reid and Morgan to go to the ME office and go over the findings with them. I've already called the locals and they're going to send over all the files to Quantico. Garcia is also going to be looking into our new suspect, Nathan Graham, to see if he's connected in any way."