Adrinette: Secret Santa

The point of a Secret Santa was for the “Santa” to be secret.

Secret Santas no longer remain secret when two Santas accidentally run into each other only to realize they were swapping gifts.

After a long moment of Adrien and Marinette standing there, each frozen with gifts in hand, Adrien was the first to make a comment. “Um… this wasn’t how it was supposed to work out.”

Marinette giggled nervously, trying to rein in her still massive crush that remained after all these years. She thought maybe she could handle it being her last year of high school and all.

However, the fire raging in her cheeks and her thundering heartbeat proved that she thought wrong.

“Clearly,” was all she managed.

Adrien rubbed the back of his neck. “Well… I… was going to leave this at your spot so I could see your expression when you opened it but… I guess… here.”

He extended the small gift, his cheeks turning a lovely shade of scarlet. Marinette was sure that her cheeks were the same color. With all the strength she could muster, she pulled herself together and extended her own gift to him. “Uhh… hereyougoMerryChristmas.”

…Well, she supposed her word vomit was improving.

Adrien’s chuckle put her at ease, and she felt some semblance of relief while he took the gift. It reminded her that she should probably take his.

“Um… thank you,” she said, mentally patting herself on the back for getting out a complete sentence.

“Aren’t you supposed to say that after you open the gift?” Adrien teased.

“No, because if it’s from you, I’ll be happy with whatever you gave me.”

She froze. Adrien froze. Her heart froze.

Of ALL the sentences she could get out crystal clearly, it was that one?

Adrien blushed hard, coughing into his fist. “Well…”

“Uhhh,” Marinette was struggling. She knew she was five seconds from combusting and had to leave now. “I… gotta go… do something… for my hamster. Yeah. Uhhh… Seeyoulaterbye!”

And with that, she bolted from the classroom and into the closest lady’s restroom. There, she could spend the last five minutes before bell rang having a meltdown and pulling herself back together.