02. paint no illusion

"MIKE WHAT?" Brad randomly asked as we were driving down the expressway.

"Mike what, what?" Chris asked back. I sighed out of boredom and rested my head on the window.

"Mike what, what, what are we talking about?" Daryl questioned, just as confused.

"What's his last name?" Brad inquired, like it was an obvious question.

"Todwell." Chris replied, and I could tell she was smiling. "Are you writing a book?"

"If you are, then write that he's a complete douche." I commented while turning to look at the two boys.

"Yeah, write that down." Daryl advised to Brad jokingly. "Wait. Mike Todwell? Do you know him?" Daryl disbelievingly asked, looking between me and Chris.

"Unfortunately." I rolled my eyes.

"They go out." Brad told his friend.

"Victoria and Mike go out?" Daryl asked in horror.

"No!" Brad, Chris and I said at the same time.

"God, how could you think so low of me?" I looked at Daryl with a pointed look. "Chris is the one who's dating that tool."

"He's got a red Camaro, right?" Daryl quizzed after chuckling at my comment.

"Oh gee Daryl, are you a gear-head and a sex fiend?" Chris joked. Daryl rolled his eyes as Brad and I laughed. "Anyway, a lot of people have Camaro's."

"Yeah, but do a lot of people have the license plate 'so cool'?" Daryl asked while putting his thumbs up.

"That's Mike." Chris smiled as Daryl, Brad and I were laughing in the back.

"He's the guy that beat me up last summer for touching his car, which I didn't do." Daryl explained.

"That was him?" Brad inquired, sitting up in his seat.

"That was him!" Daryl confirmed.

"Mike wouldn't do that." Chris shook her head.

"Yes he would." Daryl nodded.

"He would not." Chris disagreed.

"He probably would." I nodded, agreeing with Daryl.

"Yes he would. He did. He kicked my ass. Wanna see the footprint?" Daryl asked.

"No." we all said in unison. Daryl looked at me, trying to pull off a seductive look. I rolled my eyes and looked back out the window.

"Look!" Sara pointed at a large building. "That's where Thor lives!"

"Thor?" Chris questioned.

"Well, all the superheroes live in the city." Sara replied like it was obvious. "Spider-Man, Daredevil and Captain America! But Thor's the best, he fights the forces of darkness. Forces of darkness beware!"

"SO THE babysitter goes upstairs, and the sound keeps getting louder." Chris told, she was attempting to tell a scary story. "Scrape, scrape, scrape."

I felt movement beside me and turned to see Daryl taking out a Playboy magazine from under his hoodie. I cringed and looked back out the window, pretending I saw nothing.

"The babysitter stops at the kid's room, she reaches for the doorknob." Chris carried on, not noticing what was going down in the backseat. "Her hand is trembling, her heart is beating fast, sweat pours down her face. She opens the door, and the kids are safely in their beds."