Chapter 7

Blackbeard had blinded Jack with a cloth as they stepped back on dry land to find their way to the cove. He believed it best that Jack not know where his ship was. They led the trek along the beach and deeper into the island they were anchored on. The men had placed the mermaid in the class coffin, filling it with water, and were carrying her along the way.

"It's to you now, Sparrow." Blackbeard said as he stopped Jack and undid the blindfold around his eyes.

"Was that really necessary?" Jack asked.

"Best you not know the exact whereabouts of my ship." the captain said lowly. "I be a cautious man."

"So be I." Jack claimed, and unhooked his compass from his belt. It spun around, until it landed behind him, and on (Y/n), who was watching his movements carefully. They hadn't had time to discuss the kiss he gave her before he ran to blow up the lighthouse. He shook it lightly, telling himself he couldn't have her right now. "What I want first..." he muttered, and finally, the red arrow pointed in another direction, "is Ponce de Leon's ship."

Jack led them along the beach of the island until his compass pointed them into the jungle. They heard the sounds of birds chirping and other unnamable beasts that lurked the jungle here. (Y/n) heard the sound of a monkey, and was reminded of the infernal monkey aboard the Black Pearl that Barbossa had owned.

They were waist deep in water, trudging through the jungle where the compass led them. It was indeed difficult to maneuver through it all. (Y/n) didn't know if she were going to step on something alive, for the water was so murky.

"Why is it we've got to bring her along?" Scrum asked, struggled, for he was one of the men to be carrying the mermaid through the difficult terrain.

"Because tears don't keep. We need them fresh." Angelica called back from beside her sister, who was behind Jack.

"What was the ritual again?" Jack asked (Y/n), speaking to her for the first time since the night before. "Water from the Fountain and a mermaid's tear?"

"And two silver chalices. One cup with a tear, one without." she answered, barely glancing his direction.

"So, one with a tear and water in both?" Jack continued. "Quite complicated, is it not?"

She huffed and said, "Both get water. One gets a tear. The person who drinks the water with the tear gets all the years of life from the other."

"How many years?" Jack inquired, but drew back slightly when he saw a snake in the water. (Y/n) snatched the snake from the water and wrapped it around her shoulders.

"All the years that they have lived, Jack." she brought the snake closer to him, making him step backwards a bit as the snake snapped its jaws at him. "And they could have lived, if fate had been kinder." She threw the animal aside and continued forward, the disappointed stare of her father burning holes in the back of her head.

They exited the swamp, and came to a river which had much cleaner waters. They decided to take a small break, allowing the crew to regain themselves. They set the mermaid down, and (Y/n) saw her eyes glance from her to Philip. Philip washed his face and neck with the water from the river, and Jack approached him.

"Clergyman." Jack started his conversation. "On the off chance that this does not go well for me, I would like it noted here and now that I am fully prepared to believe in whatever I must, so that I may be welcomed into that place where all the goodie-goodies get to go. Savvy?"

Philip gave a tight-lipped smile and said, "We have a word for that, Jack. You can convert."

"I was thinking more of an as-needed basis." Jack stated.