Losing My Heart

Family. Love. Loyalty. Heart vs Head.

"I need to find my brother and my parents. I need to know they are safe." I thought as I was running through the New York City streets as the fight was going on all around me. I could sense that I was getting closer and closer to him because the connection I made when I first felt his spirit back when I was with Steve and Natasha. I finally heard his voice over all of the screams that were happening around me.

"Sammi! Sammi!! Where are you?!"This little brown haired boy screamed. He was wearing a huge green New York Yankees hoodie and he was holding a blue and pink Dragon Build-A-Bear. As he turned around, I noticed a scar on his chin and ocean green eyes. It was my five year old brother, Kalen. I raced through the crowds to get to him causing the air around me to guide me quicker.

"Kal, calm down. I'm right here. Where is mommy and daddy?" I asked him as I started to pick him up and scanned the crowds of people running away from the aliens who were fighting and killing any and everyone in their ways. I started to get worried that something had happened to my parents, but then Kal finally answered my question.

"They are in this building right here." Kal squeaked as he pointed to a PNC Bank across the street. I ran as fast as my legs took me, then it felt like I was walking on air for how quick I made it to the bank. I sat my brother down, and we searched and searched for what felt like forever, then we finally found them. A woman with brown hair that matched Kalen's and blueish grey eyes that matched mine was sitting next to a man who had silver hair and green eyes. They were helping people get into a building that has not been touched by the aliens. I was so proud of them, but also angry that they were risking their lives instead of protecting Kal.

"Mom, Dad. Are you guys okay?" I ask them as we run to them. My mother and father stop helping people and instantly come over to us.

"Samantha, Kalen. You guys are safe! Thank god! Your father saw this bank had not been touched by the creatures yet, so we decided to start having people meet here until we can get them somewhere else safe." my mother tells me as she hugs me and Kal. My father comes up behind her and joins in the family hug. In that moment, it felt like a normal family hug that we had before my life had been turned upside down, but it was not. It was all different.

My father finally realized what I was wearing, and he said, "Tony Stark found you, didn't;t he?"

I sighed, and replied, "Yes he did, but not quick enough. The day that I disappeared, I was actually kidnapped by Loki. The man who is causing this war. He knew about my powers, and wanted to use me to take control of the world. He would have succeeded if it was not for Tony and some other amazing people that saved me." I looked at my family, and my mother knew exactly what was coming next.

"You have to listen to your heart and head together. Not separately. You will never be able to win that way.'' She told me as she came up and smiled at me. "I am so proud of you. You finally figured out where you belong, and it is not here with us. It is with your group of heroes. Heroes just like you." she hugged me, then looked at my father. He walked up next to my mother, and placed his arm around her waist.

"Mom, Dad, I can't just leave you guys here in danger. You guys raised me better than that. I'm listening to my heart because you guys are my whole heart." I tell them to be stubborn like any normal teenager would be. My parents just giggled as Kal walked up to me.

He looked up at me, and told me, "Sammi, you need to stop listening to only your heart. Use your brains. Be a superhero." I smiled at him and started to tear up.

"Kal, when did you become so big?" I hugged him, and tears fell from my eyes. I looked down and saw the arrowhead tracker that Barton had given me only a few hours ago. I took the necklace off, and placed it around my brother's neck. "Here, Kal. This is a special arrowhead given to me by a real life superhero. It will let me be able to find you when this is all over. I promise I will find you. I am using my brains because you have my heart right here." I told him as I pointed to his heart. I finally looked back at my parents. "Stay together, and I will be able to find you. Please don't risk your lives anymore. I promise that I will be back." I tell them and they pick up Kal, then run towards the bank. I watch as my heart leaves me, but my mother was right, I need to use my heart and my heart if I wanted to win. Once my family made it inside the bank safely, I turned around and headed back towards Steve and Natasha.

Steve was fighting a bunch of aliens when I had arrived at him. I concentrated on the ground causing a hole to open up and swallow the aliens up. He turned around and ran to me giving me the biggest hug ever, "Hey, Samantha. You are okay. How's your family?" he asked me.

I wiped the tears from my face, and answered him, "They are safe. They made it to a bank that has been untouched by the invasion and fighting. I came my arrowhead tracker to my brother, so I could find them when this is over. Now is the time that we start fighting, and end this war." Steve understood, and we raced into the army together with Natasha and Barton holding their own on the other side of us. As we were fighting, I had this wave of death and fear washing over me. I knew what it meant without even questioning it. I left the fight and ran towards the bank where I had left my family only moments before. I reached the bank, but it was too late. The building was collapsing already, but I was able to control the rubble long enough for me to make it inside to my family.

"Samantha! You should not have come back." my mother yelled as I ran to my family. Before I could even say anything, I saw my father and Kal laying on the ground. My father was in a bad position with rubble and pipes on top of him. Kalen was hugging his stuffed dragon gripping my father's hand. I just lost it completely, and I screamed. My screamed caused the building to fully collapse on everything and everyone inside, not including myself. I was finally about to let go of the rubble around and let it collapse on me, but then I heard a familiar voice.

"Samantha! Where are you?'' The voice who I realized was Barton yelled. Before I could respond, Steve was clearing the rubble away from me. When he reached me, I was holding my brother's dragon, the arrowhead necklace, and both of my parents' wedding bands in my hands. Tears and blood ran down my face and into my eyes. Steve picked me up and carried me out.

"Samantha, are you okay?" he asked me.

I let tears and sadness take control of me when I answered, "I lost my heart, now it's time to use my head."