The Evolution of Grandma Kisses II

Caitlin finished going through the rest of the flashcards on her own while Barry blubbered on about why it was totally okay she was late and that the Iris West did not have to apologize to lowly plebes like themselves. Okay, he didn't really say it like that, but it was close enough.

He really was a hopeless romantic.

Iris and Barry spent the next ten minutes or so discussing why she was late in the first place. It was something about a birthday gift for Eddie. Caitlin tried not to pay too much attention, but she figured Barry wouldn't be too happy about that reason. The conversation continued on to how difficult everyone was expecting the exam to be. Now Caitlin decided to listen up.

"Yeah," Iris leaned in to include Caitlin, "So I heard this exam is going to be twice as hard as his other exams. As if his other exams weren't hard to begin with. People who took the course last year told me that this exam had the lowest average of all time!"

Caitlin could easily agree with that statement. She had studied basically every day for two weeks preparing for the exam...and she still did not feel half as ready as she should have.

"He better curve us a hundred percent," Barry joked.

Iris giggled at his joke and that encouraged Barry to keep saying half-witty, half-dumb statements to keep impressing his crush. Tossing one leg on either side of the bench and putting his left elbow on the bench as he rested his head on his knuckle, Barry made sure to give his full attention to Iris as his whole body faced towards her. Both their textbooks laid out on the table, flapping in the sunny breeze, all but forgotten.

The two of them leaned into each other and laughed, sharing inside jokes and overall making Caitlin feel all squeamish inside. She did not know what this feeling was, but she hoped it would go away. Maybe she caught a stomach bug. Caitlin prayed to all the deities above to just let her get sick only after the exam.

As Barry shifted his position while he looked at Iris, the watch that rested on his wrist reflected the light of the sun and shone it right into Caitlin's eyes. Doing practice problems was not easy when it felt like the full force of the sun was trying to burn off Caitlin's pupils. Every turn of his wrist sent a bright flash right at Caitlin. That annoyance, plus the betrayal she felt after Barry betrayed the sanctity of her study time, finally pushed Caitlin over the edge and she couldn't keep her anger in any longer.

"Will you stop flashing me?" Caitlin growled as she looked up from her worksheet, her lucky pink #2 mechanical pencil clutched tightly in her hands.

Barry looked surprised at Caitlin sudden outburst and immediately adjusted his body to sit properly on the bench. "Sorry, Cait," he said. Noticing which problem set she was on, Barry quickly found the right papers and started to work, encouraging Iris to begin as well.

That lasted a good five minutes before conversation started again.

"You know, I'm kinda glad we're taking Stein." Iris commented. "Like this class is hard enough, but I heard that Wells's class literally makes people want to switch majors and then just curl up and die, not my words."

Caitlin awkwardly coughed, remembering getting straight A's on all his tests while Barry snorted in amusement.

Iris turned to Caitlin as she realized her reputation. "I took his class for a week before I dropped out, but you stayed for so long and I heard you were at the top of the class. Why did you drop it?"

Caitlin felt herself growing more annoyed by the second as Iris kept talking. "I just did, okay? So can you just drop it? Let's actually study for once."

Iris didn't say anything, but Caitlin could tell that her feelings had been hurt. Barry threw her a side glance that looked like a mix between anger and disgust. Caitlin felt a twinge of guilt prick at her heart. Iris had done nothing wrong the whole time and Caitlin was sitting there stewing in her bad attitude. Even she could admit she was acting a little irrational. She wished she could explain why.

Maybe it was the mounting anxiety from the upcoming exam. Maybe it was the leftover sadness from her fight with Felicity. Maybe she was just getting a damn stomach bug.

The memory of her fight with Felicity struck her as she remembered the reason behind it in the first place. If she didn't open up to people, then no one would open up to her. Biting her lower lip, Caitlin faced Iris. "I was in the class, but I... I dropped it because I... I didn't like it..."

The sound of new information and juicy gossip sparked the inner Journalism major in Iris and she perked right up. "Didn't like it? Caitlin, the class is literally everything you want in your job. And a letter of recommendation from the Harrison Wells could literally get you any career you wanted!"

Noticing how Caitlin was growing more and more uncomfortable, Barry tried to change the subject and move on. He knew Wells's class was a touchy subject for her. "Stein's class is just as difficult, Iris. I'm sure Caitlin just wanted to challenge herself. Right, Cait?" He looked at her reassuringly.

Withdrawn into herself, it took Caitlin a second or two to break out of her reverie and agree with the boy. "Uh huh, yeah. Something like that." Her throat felt dry and Caitlin wanted to be anywhere but here at her favorite study spot.

Too bad Barry beat her to the punch and announced his leaving before she could. He got up and started putting all his study materials back into his backpack, leaving with an excuse about a club meeting.

Before he left, however, he placed an impromptu kiss on Caitlin's cheek and leaned in close to her ear so Iris wouldn't hear. Thank you, he whispered.

Caitlin felt like she couldn't breathe. Like a bubble of air was caught in her throat. They had discussed Rule 12 extensively. She knew cheek kisses were allowed...but it still caught her by great surprise.

Did Barry not realize that was the first kiss he had given her? Because Caitlin certainly had.

Still not being able to say anything coherent, Caitlin managed to give the brown-haired boy a weak smile while Iris bid him adieu.