The Evolution of Grandma Kisses VI

Felicity put a hand on Caitlin's shoulder. "Breathe, Cait."

One breath in. One breath out. One breath in. One breath out. Caitlin could feel her body begin to slow down again and return to normal function. Or as normal as a constantly stressed out person could get.

"How does that feel?" Felicity asked.

"Better," Caitlin choked out.

"Now, sit down and we're gonna break down everything you said, starting with the last thing." The two of them sat on the comfy couch in the basement and settled in for a long conversation. "You think you're getting feelings for Barry? Isn't that what was supposed to happen? I mean, you are dating the guy."

Caitlin realized she had revealed too much, but felt it was totally worth it if it meant having her best friend back. She chose her words carefully and felt she was revealing more to herself than she was to Felicity. "I think my feelings for him are greater than the ones he has for me."

That statement felt completely true and saying it out loud only confirmed it. Talking about it really helped her to understand herself and unload.

"So, do you... love him?" Felicity asked cautiously.

"What? Love him? Hell no," Caitlin scoffed.

"Well, I mean the logical step from liking someone is to love them."

"But I don't love him! We barely know each other!"

"That's the thing about love, Cait. You never see it coming... and you can never plan where it'll come from."

They talked for hours after that, breaking open that ramen bouquet and eating unhealthy noodles till dawn.

"Thanks for opening up to me, Cait," Felicity said softly as they leaned against each other. Caitlin was reminded of a similar situation she was in with Barry just a few hours before.

"If I knew how much better I would feel afterwards, I would have done it a long time ago."

"Why do you think I always rant and go into my long, drawn out tirades?" Felicity joked.

"Thanks for listening." Caitlin smiled as she stood up and stretched. "You ready to go home?"

Felicity hesitated, "About that..."

Caitlin looked worried as Felicity didn't immediately agree to go back. Maybe their friendship wasn't as fixed as she believed.

"When I was staying here...Oliver asked..." Felicity looked conflicted, her eyebrows scrunched and fingers tapping against the couch arm. "Oliver asked me to... move in with him."

"That green bastard." Caitlin squinted. She was only joking, of course. She would be sad and hopelessly miserable for a while as she lived alone, but she would have to get over it. Oliver and Felicity had dated for a while, it was about time they took the next step in their relationship. Besides, the mansion definitely had space for one more.

"I said no, obviously." Felicity tilted her head from her seat and gave Caitlin a cheesy grin.

That took Caitlin by surprise. "Really?"

"Of course. I couldn't leave you. You need somebody to stay and help pay rent!"

"Right, and that's the only reason?"

"Duh." Felicity stated as a matter of fact.

The two girls looked at each other and giggled.

"Ollie and I have all the time in the world." She hooked her arm around Caitlin's and they both made their way outside. "I want to spend a little more time with my best friend."

In a way, Caitlin was glad they had their fight because now, she felt their friendship had reached another level. There had been an added layer of trust that brought them together once more and they had evolved to become stronger than ever before.

Now that her friendship was in the clear, Caitlin's head felt clearer as well. Sharper and ready to take on the world...or at the least, Professor Stein's killer exam.

The next two days had Caitlin completely cut off from the world and she rotated from her apartment to the library like clockwork. Even her interactions with Barry were kept to a minimum as they studied together in comfortable silence, encouraging each other to keep going (Caitlin's job) and forcing the other to take a break once in a while (Barry's job).

The two of them worked well together and Caitlin realized that even as the test grew closer, her anxiety hadn't been completely debilitating. With Barry's help, she was able to utilize it and work her hardest... without completely breaking down and losing it.