4 ~ Witches and Cats (Space Witches and Flerkens)

R.E.L.I.C. was a new extension of  Project M.A.R.C.H., Mythical Antiquities Research and Care Headquarters. So it certainly made sense that someone like Dr. Strange - a Master of the Mystic Arts himself - would be interested. But didn't they have more important things to be doing then hanging around with Nora and inspecting her case? That, or they thought this was really truly of importance, and she hoped not in a bad way. 

"Well, that was certainly interesting," Nora remarked to no one in particular. The whole rest of the day at work she was distracted by her visit from the Sorcerer Supreme himself. She had seen the Sorcerers in action during the final battle against Thanos at the Avengers Facility - the same battle where Carol had swooped in and absolutely destroyed Thanos's main ship like the boss she was (not that Nora was biased or anything) - and they could do some pretty brilliant things (like Carol could. Okay, yes, Nora was totally biased). She liked the thought that maybe one day she too could do such things - the Mystic Arts things, not the Carol things, because she knew that, while both were very powerful and while both of their powersets came from space-related events, the girlfriends' sets of powers were very different. They were both very unique. 

"Carol, you'll never believe who - Carol?" she said as she walked in the door of their shared flat after work that evening. Her Space Girl was nowhere to be seen. 

"Down here, Babe."

"Huh?" Walking around the kitchen counter, she found Carol laying on the floor on her stomach, staring at Chewie who sat in front of her, staring back. "Are you playing nice? Should I be worried about you two?"

"I don't know..." Finally, Carol broke eye contact with the cat.   "Worry, what were you saying?"

"You'll never believe who paid me a visit at work today."

"One of your look-alikes?"

"Um, no, good guess though.  Close-ish."

"A new look-alike?"

"No."

"Lady Infinity herself?"

"No - but that would be pretty badass.  It was Dr. Strange."

"Ah. The wizard."

"That's what I said, but he seems to prefer being called a 'sorcerer'. I don't really see a difference, personally. But anyways, he wants to train me in magic."

"Oh." Carol stood up off the kitchen floor.  "That sounds exciting."

"Yeah, he said my powers seem like a very big deal."

"Oh I bet. That's great, Nora."

"Thanks."

"Nora," Carol said into the dark that night while both were in bed, as though testing whether or not Nora was presently asleep.

She wasn't, or well was at least half-asleep and half-awake. "Yes?"

"I don't think Chewie's a cat."

There was a beat of silence there in their dark room. "Huh?"

"I don't think she's a cat.  I think she's a Flerken."

"Beg pardon?"

"A Flerken - it's an alien species that takes the form of an Earth cat. Fury and I encountered one when we met during our first mission together, Goose, remember? She clawed his eye, that's why he wears the eye patch. And I don't know, I just get this funny feeling from Chewie - she acts in similar ways to Goose did."

"Okay... And in a similar way to how cats do."

"Lots of alien races are terrified of them, Skrulls included. My buddy Talos, remember? He was so scared of Goose. And he was this tough Skrull General.  I thought it was really strange, until I saw what she could do."

"And, what can they do?"

"Sometimes, when they open their mouths, huge long tentacles will emerge, and they hold pocket dimensions inside themselves."

"Okay, Space-Girl."

"I'm just saying, witches have cats. And you're not like any witch I've ever heard of, and Flerken's aren't like any cats I've ever heard of. You make a good team."

"Hmm," Nora said as though she were considering this.  "The perfect team, by the sounds of it."

"You're both space-related."

"Sure are. Space magic and a galactic cat."

"Flerken."

"Right, right, a 'Flerken'. How do you spell that?"

"You don't believe me. Think of all the crazy stuff you've seen and encountered."

"True." Nora nudged Carol under the blankets. "Especially since meeting you."

"Especially  since meeting me."

Nora chuckled and snuggled further under the blankets.  "Goodnight, Space Girl."

"Goodnight, Glowing Girl."

(I'm so sorry this has taken so long! I'll admit that I've hit a bit of a dead end with inspiration for this story, not knowing where I want to go next or how to proceed. But don't worry, I'll keep brainstorming!

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))