30: Safe and Sound

With Michelle rescued from the bandits and safely in Sir Gabriel's care, Ashley is heading back to Creek's Crossing. Normally Sir Gabriel would be riding on her shoulder, instead, Michelle is sitting there. While Michelle did insist on being carried back home, not wanting to walk in her bare feet, she had never expected a woman of an extraordinary size to be giving her a lift. Being so high up does make her nervous, she is clutching a strand of the maiden's hair with the hopes that she will not fall. The prospect of falling from such a great height would make anyone feel the same way.

         Sir Gabrielis sitting in Ashley's hand, held close to her body, and her palm cupped to ensure that he is safe. He is leaning against the maiden's body. He is looking up at Ashley, smiling at her, feeling lucky to be in a loving relationship with her. He removes one of his gauntlets, setting it down beside him so that he can grab a hold of one of her fingers. This touch does not go unnoticed by her, she looks down at the knight and smiles at him, brushing her finger across his face. Sir Gabriel kisses her finger, showing her his affection for her.

      "So, Ashley." The sound of Michelle's voice grabs Ashley's attention, her hazel eyes glancing over at her small passenger. "How did you get so big?"

        "I honestly don't know," Ashley answers with a shrug. Michelle lets out a surprised shriek as she feels herself moving upwards. What seems like a small motion for Ashley is not so small for the lady on her shoulder. "Sorry," Ashley apologizes with a nervous smile.

        From how Ashley answered, Michelle can imagine that her question must have been one that the maiden has heard at least a dozen times. She has a dozen more questions for her, "How big are you?", "Are you okay with your size?", "Are you still growing?" But these all focus on her size, not who she is. "So Ashley, you and Sir Gabriel are courting. How did you two meet?"

       "He rescued me." Ashley rubs her finger across Sir Gabriel's face again, feeling his small lips kiss it. She giggles, similar to a schoolgirl at how he is showing his affection for her. Some may find this display of affection odd, but for the couple it is normal. With the differences in their size, they have to be creative.

       "Rescued you?!" What could she possibly need rescuing from? Nothing short of an army should be a threat to a woman of her stature.

       "I was lonely." Ashley looks down towards Sir Gabriel, who seems to be content just sitting in her palm. She starts to smile, remembering that fateful day when she discovered the knight in her home. He did not flee from her, nor did he attack her.

     "And he just fell in love with you?"

     "Seeing a woman as beautiful as her, how could I not." Michelle looks down at the knight, trying to stay focused on him instead of the ground below. "I will admit that I was shocked when I first met her; it's not every day that one meets a woman who is over fifty feet tall." Michelle mouths the words "fifty feet", shocked to learn Ashley's height. "But she is just so kind and loving, I can't see myself being with anyone other than her."

       Michelle has heard an old saying that love is blind; could the love these two be an example of it? She has watched Ashley's mannerisms towards the knight, conveying an affection that any woman would have for their man; and Sir Gabriel shows his affection in return. She may not understand how they make their relationship work, but they seem to manage.

        Before Michelle can ask another question, she can see the familiar sight of the wall that surrounds Creek's Crossing. She can't wait to return home, eager to draw a warm bath, change into some fresh clothes, and get some proper footwear on her bare feet. She glances downward, her toes covered in dirt, looking very unladylike, she can only imagine how horrendous her soles look. Then her mind wanders to Ashley and her choice to forego wearing footwear. Her feet must get so dirty so easily. Yet when the maiden showed her bare feet, they did not look that bad. Sure, they had dirt and some grass on them, but they did not have the typical look of one who always goes barefoot. She can only imagine that Ashley must take extra effort in keeping her feet clean.