Yesterday's Events

"Thank you, Kageyama! I appreciate it!"

"Yeah, whatever," he mutters in response, turning his head away from you as he sucks through the straw of his milk box, his ears picking up the sound of you unwrapping the straw and poking it through the hole at the top. The sidewalks were empty, you two being the only ones residing on the light pavement on the side of the road while you bask in the warm sunlight and the sweet smell of freshly cut grass and beautifully blooming flowers. The white clouds that float in the sky made shapes, ones that would shift and warp into new ones every couple seconds.

"Hey, look at that," you point towards a little bird at the top of a tree, the bright green leaves contradicting the alluring blue skies that make you think content is eternal. His head perks up, his dark blue eyes trying to find where your finger gestured to, coming unsuccessful.

"Where?"

"Riiiight there," you whisper as you take a step sideways towards his body while your hands gently grab his arm, your agile fingers tickle his skin as they slide down his limb, tangling with his own fingers before you bring them up to point straight to the passerine. Warmth surrounds him as he looks up towards the gorgeously colored bird, your hand holding his in the air like it was supposed to be like that. That's the moment you could feel his fingers grip yours tighter, his arm now carrying the weight of your hand instead of the other way around, your arm relaxing against his. He brought his arm down, forcing yours with as they rest beside you two, nervous tingles erupting in your abdomen, not knowing the same thing was happening to him. His hands didn't just look good on the court, they felt nice, too.

The ghost of his fingertips glides against your skin just like it did yesterday, your mind refusing to let you think about other things as the memory of him holding your hand silently while walking you home, not a word coming out of either of your mouths. It was a comfortable mellowness when his fingers unlaced themselves with yours, letting you walk away from him as you nod goodbye with a smile, a hesitant dip of his head as a response. He hoped you hadn't seen the pink on his cheeks and the upward tilt of the corners of his lips after you had disappeared behind your closing door. The snugness of his grasp made it seem like it would happen again, which in turn, ignited a spark in your nerves.

That's why you didn't care to avoid him, walking right up to him with a grin to show him how happy you are to see him. "Hey, Kageyama-kun!"

No response.

"Kageyama?"

Ignored.

"Hello?"

Silence.

What was his deal? He hadn't even taken the time to look at you. It felt like one of the first times he interacted with you. His mind elsewhere and his eyes distracted with something that he knew wasn't important, but he just didn't want to listen to what was coming out of your annoying mouth. You huffed at him, crossing your arms and furrowing your brow in frustration.

"Is it because of yesterday? Do you want me to forget about it? Because Kageyama, I really don't wa-"

His piercing glare that side-eyed you forced your words at a full stop, only a soft exhale coming out of your mouth once you eye him in realization.

...He really didn't want to talk about this, did he?

The disappointment that crossed your face wasn't enough to show how you felt on the inside; your frown and your sorrow-filled eyes turning down towards the floor once you turned to walk away. You clench your fists together to keep them still, your feet guiding you onward towards your classroom as you try your best to keep your head up, Kageyama's feelings needing to be the least of your worries right now. You had priorities, and this was not going to be one of them. You refused.