EPILOGUE: Finally Good Enough

Ah, a refreshing breath, it was. The chilled breeze raising the hairs on your skin and the sweet smell of a fresh cut lawn entering your senses. The sound of birds singing to each other perks your ears and the soft, gentle touch of the pads of his fingers grazing your arm leaves a tingling trail atop your supple skin.

He lays beside you on the picnic blanket that sprawls across the dry crabgrass, his head held up by his palm that balances on it's elbow, his hair casting a moving shadow on your face below him when the air drags the strands back and forth. His eyes were concentrated, fixating on the light that reflected off the different shades of your iris'.

"Tobio?" Your whisper flows into his hearing and his eyelashes flick back into focus when you softly call his name.

"Hm."

His fingers are pulled your way the moment your hand takes his grasp, tugging them to the front of your vision. The hot trail of your skin against his creates a smirk barely visible on his lips. His head covers the sun, light shining around him as if he was glowing. You mean, maybe he was, but it was beautiful either way. Your fingers play with his while you nail your sight onto your actions to "distract" yourself from future embarrassment when you mutter: "I love you."

You didn't quite see it, as you were avoiding the look on his face, but you felt the atmosphere change once the words left your lips, his movements stuttering and a chopped breath hitching in his throat. You wince at the anticipation, grimacing when you expect rejection.

"You love me?" He asks with curiosity, disbelief. His head backed up a little, his indecisive, furrowed eyebrows scanning your flushed features. Your nod is hesitant and silent, almost regretful.

"Um," you start, nervous, "yeah, I d—"

Woah. It was sweet, something you'd want to taste forever. When he slammed his lips on yours, a gasp left you, but now as you let him melt into you, nothing seemed to disrupt you. There was nothing around you— it was blank. You and he lay on the ground by yourselves in an empty space, your eyes closing simultaneously and your hands palming his face with a draw to pull him closer. He complies, leaning his body into yours from above, planting a hand on the other side of you to hold himself up. Your lips felt so magical against his, molding with each other perfectly as your heads tilt to make more room for the addicting taste. The moment your lips disconnected once, he didn't hesitate to dip back in once more, needing to just relish in your gratifying lips another time.

Oh. You sound pretty, too. An audible breath runs from your throat, escaping your lips and diving straight into his mouth, where he swallows it with an inhale. How come he's never experienced this before? Where have you been? And how come he's never tasted anything like this before? He's sure he's addicted— he's sure he'll never be able to stop stealing this from you, siphoning the flavor and savoring it for the rest of his life.

You were sure you could say the same, by the way the sugary hint of his kiss forced you to take more. You were getting a little too comfortable on the picnic blanket, you notice, when his knee slots in between your legs. His body hovers above yours and his hair prickles your forehead before you mutter pauses into his mouth and you hold his shoulders to take his lips off yours.

Confusement leaked from his face when he looked at you from above, his head dipping to the side. "What is it? Oh," he makes a face of realization, zapping himself up in a sitting position. You frantically shake your head while chasing his movements, tugging on the wrist that floats to the back of his neck with a raging blush on his cheeks.

"No, no, no, no, no, nothing like that, Tobi, I promise," you smile. He looks down before returning it, a tiny smirk painting his lips. "It's just that, you know, we're in public..."

He looks around, the old, worn net that hangs off the rusted metal poles that stick up diagonally from the ground sticking out to him, and the empty bench on the other side of it catching his eye. "I don't see anyone," he justifies, turning back to you.

"Well, no, but we're still ou— Tobio," you giggle, running your fingers through his black locks when his lips smack onto your neck, tingles upon tingles fluttering around your nerves. You fall back, his chuckles creating hot pools on your neck when he falls with you. His lips eventually separate from your skin, unfortunately, but you didn't dislike it when he wrapped his pinky with yours beside you.

"I love you too." Your head whips to his side with surprise. He only mumbled it shyly, but you heard it just as loud as anything else.

He loves you.

You love him.

You were good enough for him. Good enough to have a place in his heart, good enough to always be at the front of his mind, good enough to talk to him, to touch him, to kiss him, to love him. It amazed you. You were finally good enough.

"Wanna practice a little bit? Shoyo won't come today, says his sister needed help with something," he continues, not paying any mind to your awed eyes. "Oh, by the way. Happy one year, Y/n."

"Yeah," you say, taking his hands when he offers to pull you up, walking to the right side of the net. A smile appeared on your face. "Happy one year."