39. Summer Love

"Are you okay?" Niall asks as we stroll down Washington's streets.

We've left the bar and decided to take a walk before returning to the hotel.

"Yeah" I lie as good as I can.

"No, you're not" Niall says smiling, "Tell me: what's the craic?" he asks with an overdone Irish accent that makes me laugh.

"I'm,... I'm leaving tomorrow" I mumble hiding myself under his arm.

"What? Tomorrow is...?"

"30th already?" I complete, "Yeah" I say with a sad smile.

"Can't you just stay for a bit longer?" he pouts.

"Uni starts on Thursday the 2nd" I say gently nudging him.

"Maybe we could walk around Washington the whole night" he says with a cheeky smile.

"You have a concert tomorrow, mister. Let's go to the hotel"

"You're boring" he snaps.

"Excuse me?"

He laughs, running away from me.

"Come back and say that to my face!" I threat running after him

"Never in your wildest dreams..." he sings still running.

We run all the way to the hotel and we keep running until we enter the hotel room and I tackle him, both of us falling on the bed.

"What did you say?" I say putting his hands over his head and approaching him.

"Nothing" he answers.

"Say it" I repeat.

"No" he smiles and tries to turn me over.

Unfortunately, I roll on the mattress and lose my balance, falling to the ground.

"Oh, shit" Niall exclaims kneeling next to me.

"Ouch" I say taking my hand to my head.

"That's what happens when you mess with me"

"You're a major idiot" I say slightly kicking him.

We put our pjs and lie in bed.

I'm going to miss sleeping next to him. I'm going to miss feeling his strong arms surrounding my torso, and his fingers caressing my back. I'm going to miss his sweet kisses on the forehead, and how he looks for me when he wakes up in the middle of the night and I'm not there.

"I'm gonna miss you, little one" he whispers bringing me closer to him.

I bury my face in his chest, smelling the scent of his t-shirt.

"I'm going to miss you too, Nialler" I mumble, closing my eyes and wishing this moment to last forever.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The sun is shining over the capital of the United States. Its rays enter through the thin curtains, illuminating the hotel room. Everything is bright and shiny, yet to me it looks shadowy, dull.

I sigh as I fold the trousers and put them in the trunk. After having breakfast together Niall has gone to talk to Louis about I-don't-know-what.

I think he just didn't want to be here, watching me pack, because it means that is real: I'm leaving.