18. Disconnected

A security guard guides us to the stage area. We arrive to a door that leads to some stairs. At the bottom of the stairs, I spot the guys.

"You owe me 20 bucks, Irwin!" I shout from the railing.

The four of them look up, and so does the security man standing next to them.

"Yeah! You made it!" Ashton shouts and sticks his tongue out.

"Five minutes boys!" someone shouts.

"We gotta get going. Break a leg, lads!" Niall says giving them a thumbs up.

We exit backstage and a security guard dressed without his uniform so nobody really spots us takes us to our seats. Just in time.

The strumming of an electric guitar echoes through the arena, quickly replaced by the screams of the fans around us.

"Good evening, NYC!" Ashton shouts to the microphone sitting by the drums.

His bandmates join him short after on stage and the concert starts.

Songs go by and Niall and I have a wonderful time.

"Woo!" I scream when one particular song starts.

"You don't have to tell me this is your favourite song" Niall chuckles.

I stick my tongue out and dance to the music.

"Life's a tangled web of cell phone calls and hashtag I-don't-knows..." I sing with the boys.

"Tune out the static sound of the city that never sleeps (That's you!) Here in the moment on the dark side of the screen... You sing New York!"

The whole arena sings the chorus and I dance around. At some point I turn around and look at Niall, who is staring at me, smiling.

"What?" I say, hands in the air.

He shakes his head and dances along.

"Hands around my waist..." they sing and Niall puts his hands around mine, making me jump.

Once the sentence has finished, he lets my waist go and crosses his arms like it hasn't been a big deal; looking to the stage as he keeps singing.