six

"can you feel the weight of the world on your fingertips?

TW
bl00d, violence, and somewhat gruesome scenes

~

"wait, explain that to me again? sorry, i wasn't
listening."

"really," you dropped the hand you were using to reapply tommy's bandages.

"what! you know i get distracted easily."

sighing, you repeated yourself.

"it's not as complicated as it seems, i promise. teleporting just takes practice. if it doesn't work the first time, try again. if it works, we'll both know."

"and what if it doesn't work at all?" he helped you clean up your supplies.

"then he'll have to get here on foot."

the two of you turned to the mirror, making eye contact through the reflection.

"you care about him, don't you."

"what? no, you're crazy. i hate him, you of all people should know that," you shook your head, placing jars of honey in a chest.

"people change, you of all people should know that," he playfully mocked you.

you elbowed him in the chest in slight annoyance. you laughed as he wailed.

"make sure to listen for fireworks, that's my signal."

"right. also, how long will he be staying? not to mention where," he scanned the room.

"we'll figure out the minor details later. for now, i have a job to do," you handed him a book, "and so do you."

he grunted.

"first you make me pick your damn potatoes, now you're making me learn a language!?" he called to you as you climbed down the ladder.

"yep!" you exclaimed, shutting the front door.

the afternoon air welcomed you in a light breeze. the leaves on the trees were specked with tans and yellows, announcing the arrival of the next season.

"a festival is in order, i suppose," you smiled to yourself.

with all of the chaos happening, everyone could use a break.

your sword rested in its sheath dangling from your hip. you thought of the many fights it has seen, the lives it's saved and the lives it's stolen. whether intentional or not, it had become more of a friend to you than a weapon.

hearing rustling from behind, you glanced over your shoulder.

"afternoon," you nodded at your monochrome friend.

"afternoon to you as well," he smiled.

the two of you walked side by side, a comfortable silence falling over you. afterall, these were the last moments of peace you would endure before chaos struck.