Twelve

Mono gave Six some space like she wanted, and was happy when she came back to them in the hideout a few hours later. The only concerning thing was that she seemed to have something on her mind, and she wouldn't look at him. He didn't know why until he heard the familiar sound of her stomach growling. She looked like she was about to collapse, so naturally he rushed over to her and helped her sit down by the fire.

     "She's starving, we have to do something to help." Eliza, now being patched up and feeling much better, stood up and grabbed Ray's arm, pulling him up off of the ground. "Let's go find something for her to eat. We owe it to Mono."

     Ray didn't let her drag him very far before he stopped. "El, I really think you should stay here. What if you start feeling bad?" After putting his foot down, playing the part of leader like he was used to by now, he forced the girl to sit back down; he was gentle with her since she was still injured. "Mono, you want to help me?" He turned back to the boy, watching as he comforted Six by hugging her to his body.

     He blinked in surprise at the suggestion and let go of Six, figuring she would be okay for a while without him. Right as he tried to stand, however, she clung to his coattail and stared up at him with drowsy eyes. "Hey, it's okay." He turned around to face her and held her hands tightly. "We won't be long. And I'm sure the girls...and Guppy...will keep you safe." He reassured her and let go of her hands so he could take his coat off, giving it to her so she could pretend he was here.
When he saw Six clutching his coat in her hands securely, he turned to Ray and walked with him to the hideout entrance, slipping outside. Now that they were alone, he felt like he had a weight lifted off of his shoulders. He loved being with Six and of course he wanted to comfort her, but he felt more confident being able to actually help her. He was just glad he could get some time with Ray, regardless. He was a pretty intriguing character.
"If you don't mind me asking...what's up with you and Eliza? Do you like her?" He tried to make conversation, not because he felt awkward, but because it was dark, and he was scared. He should've asked Six for her lighter, but it slipped his mind.

Ray glanced at Mono with a sheepish smile, shaking his head at his question. "It's different with her. You see...she reminds me of my little sister. I lost her to a strange force...the North Wind or something. We got separated and then the ferryman told me that my sister was taken by it, whatever it is." He paused, taking a deep breath. "I really want to protect El. She's my second chance at being a good big brother." He explained his tragic past quietly, but soulfully, and just from this conversation alone, Mono could tell this kid was something else; he was truly a kind, selfless person.

Mono put a supportive hand on Ray's shoulder and squeezed to give him a bit of encouragement. "I'm an only child, but I wouldn't mind someone like you being my brother. You're probably the sweetest kid I've ever met." He replied with a small smile, but his mood was quickly tarnished; they stumbled upon two girls who were completely soaked and passed out. One of them had a long braid of brown hair and a tattered beige dress, whereas the other wore a sophisticated dress and high ponytail—attire that was more or less deteriorated.
He was worried about Six, but he knew these kids would freeze to death if they didn't warm up fast. So, with a knowing look to Ray, they helped the girls up. They hadn't been gone long from the group, but the walk back took much longer with extra weight to carry.
When they arrived back at the hideout with the two sickly kids, they quickly set them down by the fire. In this light, Mono had a much better view of them, and he realized he knew one of them. It was Ms. Anne's daughter! He hadn't seen her in ages... And he thought she was dead because of Six's story. It was a relief to see her alive, regardless of how bad she might have been.
"Six, look who we found—isn't this a crazy coincidence?" He walked over to the girl as he spoke, kneeling next to her to get her attention. "You know that girl, right? Wasn't she the one you were telling me about?"