Twenty-Four

Six and Mono wandered around aimlessly while trying to find Julie, and eventually she appeared to them from above the main deck, her face pale as a ghost. She had gotten completely sidetracked, she explained, but it didn't take her long to resume taking care of Six. Mono stayed with her this time around, even though he hated needles in every way, shape, and form.
     By the time Six was medicated and on the verge of falling asleep, Mono was trying to warm up to Julie, who, despite looking at him with caring and understanding eyes, was quite intimidating. He was curious about her because of her background, but didn't know how to engage in conversation with her, so he just sat in silence until she took initiative.

"If you don't mind me asking, your name is...Mono, right? Are your parents Timothy and Mirabelle?" Her words were like knives—the boy hadn't expected he would ever hear their names again, especially his father's.

With wide eyes and a racing heart, Mono nodded in response to her question. He felt like he might pass out from shock, even though she had asked him a simple question. "H-How do you know their names...?" He questioned her out of suspicion, not recognizing her since he likely would have been too young to remember if they had met.

Julie took notice of his scary expression and tried to comfort him by moving closer and smiling. "Well, I will be honest... I thought I knew you when we first met, but it has been such a long time that I did not know for sure. I worked in the hospital and frequently took care of your father before he passed. You were always such a sweet and bright kid." Her explanation was full of compassion, so much that Mono couldn't refrain from tearing up. He missed his father, and his mother, too, despite how terrible she had been to her husband. "Oh, I'm very sorry... I know it must be difficult for you to hear about your father." She consoled the kid after noticing his falling tears, her expression adorned with guilt.

     "Why did you bring this up? Do you know what happened to my mom?" His voice was laced with longing, and the glint in his eyes certainly gave away his sorrow. He hadn't seen either of his parents in a little over two years, each for obvious reasons.

     He noticed the look on Julie's face change almost immediately, as if she was pondering to herself. "Why, yes, of course." Moments later, she suddenly flashed with realization, which caused Mono to tense up. "If I remember correctly, Mirabelle should be on this ship as we speak. She is with her sister, Jezebelle."

Mono felt his heart drop into the pit of his stomach; there was such an intense combination of emotion inside of him, ranging from dread to excitement. His mother and aunt were both alive? He never would've guessed. "Can you take me to them? I have to see for myself." His words carried such a heaviness to them that even Julie was weighed down—her demeanor was off.

"Well..." She hesitated, exposing her clouded conscience. "Your mother isn't in the best shape. She's afflicted by a terrible illness. She may not be well enough to speak to you." Although she intended to dissuade him from his desire, his determination did not seem to waver whatsoever. With a sigh, she conceded and stood up from her chair. "Very well. Come with me." She held her hand out for him, waiting for him to climb into her palm before heading out of the room.
     She looked around for a moment before setting eyes on a man, whom, based on what she said next, was her husband. "Oh, darling, would you mind keeping an eye on the little girl in there?" The man didn't even need to reply- he obliged without thinking, only after kissing Julie on the cheek, of course.
     Once the man was in the room with Six, Julie made her way to the deck and to the captain's quarters, which is where the adults hung around during the night. After briefly surveying, she caught sight of the two women and walked over to them. She didn't even get a chance to speak.

     Jezebelle, being the perceptive woman she was, immediately recognized her nephew, and it was clear as day how she felt because of her tears giving it away. "Mono, is that you?! Goodness me, how you've grown!" She held her hands out and took him from Julie, giving him a big smooch on the face. "Where have you been all this time? I was so worried." She held him close to her heart, and he tried to hold back his own tears as he clung to her. He had missed this familial bond.