Chapter 15 - What Did you Do

Ambrose didn't hit me as hard as he could; I knew that considering there was minimal swelling and no bleeding. Once I knew he was gone I picked myself up of the floor and made my way to my desk to make sure I still looked professional. I couldn't afford to cancel and lose anymore patients so I pushed all my emotions to the back of my mind and focused on my job. After all it was just me and this baby now and I needed to be able to support them.

The afternoon went by relatively quickly and to be honest it was the break I needed. I don't know why but hearing everyone else's issues made me feel like mine were relatively minor in comparison. I knew that after Ambrose's reaction earlier today I would never see him again, something I found oddly unsettling. But I knew I was better off without him, he is trouble and trouble only brings trouble.

I grabbed my bag off the passenger seat of the car once I pulled up at home. I was exhausted and I was looking forward to a nice hot bath and an early night. I had a big day planned for tomorrow, I was interviewing other therapists to join my company therefore I would have someone to fall back on if I was sick or giving birth. I was finally starting to plan ahead and expand my business, something I should have done a long time ago.

Locking the door immediately behind me I placed my bag on the floor before reaching up and pulling the clip from my hair allowing it to fall freely. I quickly made my way to the bathroom, running my bath and lighting a few candles. I went to my bedroom, picked out some pyjamas to wear before using the mirror to check my appearance; I looked at bad as I felt. I couldn't help but think to myself how perfect a glass of wine would be as I relaxed in the bath but unfortunately with my current situation, it wasn't even an option. So instead I went to the kitchen area and got myself some water which I poured into a wine glass. I turned and was about to my make my way back to my bathroom only to jump when my eyes met a dark pair of blue eyes. The glass I was holding falling to the ground and smashing to pieces.

"How did you..."

"Pack your shit."

"Wha..."

"Pack. Your. Shit. Now" That was all he would said to before throwing an empty bag at my feet. It looked dirty and I didn't just mean dirt. It had what I believe to be blood stains on it. I looked down at it in disgust before returning my gaze to his.

"No" I tell him feeling the confidence course through me, I mentally prepared myself for another smack but instead he closed his eyes, exhaling loudly leaning his back on the door frame and muttering under his breathe.

"Look I'm sorry for earlier, you caught me by surprise so can you just pack your shit so we can get out of here."

"Why would I..."

"Can you just for once listen to what I am saying and I will explain everything on the way." He asks finally opening his eyes and rubbing his mouth with his hand. "Look I am being nice here so can you just..." He asked gesturing towards the bag on the ground.

"I'm not using that." I tell him, my voice filled with disgust. I watched as he bit his upper lip, he was seriously trying to keep himself under control something I never thought I would see from him. His neck started twitching causing him to tightly squeeze his eyes once more.

"Don't make this any harder, so..."

"Pack your shit. I heard you." I roll my eyes pushing back him; I made sure my shoulder hit his arm on the way past. I heard him laugh lowly as I made my way to my bedroom. I didn't know why I was packing or where I was going but I couldn't fight him. I didn't want to.

After 20 minutes I had the bear essentials with me for an overnight of at least four nights, this included clothes, my make up and my skin care products. Grabbing my bag I made my way back to the living room, my jaw dropping as I looked around. My pictures and books were gone as was my grandmother's vase. Was I robbed? Where was Ambrose and what the hell was going on?

"You ready?" Ambrose asked appearing the front door, he was now wearing a pair of latex gloves over his hands. His eyes wandered around the place before looking at the small bag in my hand. "Get whatever personal crap you have in the bedroom into a bag Angel. You'll need it." He tells me softly, taking the clothes bag out of my hand and disappearing back out the front door.

Scratching my head I decided to do what he asked of me but I hoped he would tell me what was going on sooner rather than later. Grabbing another bag from under my bed I started to put my photos, journals and keepsake box. I looked around my room making sure I had everything I cared about before grabbing a small stuffed donkey toy that my dad gave me for my fifth birthday. It was the first and only bear he got me and I loved it till this day and it was also the only thing I have left of him.

Returning back into my living room Ambrose as standing there waiting for me. He gave a me a small smile, reaching his hand forward and grabbing the bag from my hand.

"Let's go." He sighed softly nodding his head towards the door, I stayed silent as I followed after him into my garden, I glanced over at my driveway and noticed my car was gone.

"Hey, where's my car?" I asked Ambrose but instead of replying he simply put the bag in the trunk before opening the door for me, silently telling me to get in. "Ambrose where is my car?"

"I'll explain later." He tells me nodding towards the car for me to get in after a few minutes of refusing he shook his head with an eye roll turning his back to me and walking towards the house. Squinting my eyes I watched as he reached into his pocket, pulling something from it before lighting it. It was a match.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU..." I shouted at him but it was too late. He has laced the outside of the house with what I assume is kerosene and set my home on fire. I watched the blaze rage through my home, clutching at my chest I fell faint and fell against the seat of the car.

"You alright?" Ambrose asked coming back into view, a cigarette hanging loosely from his lips.

"What did you do?"