Part 15: Demons, now gods. What's next? Santa?

The long day of bickering, chatting, and selling caused almost everyone to be exhausted by closing. (Y/n) leaned on Toby as soon as the door was closed for the night. "Oh, boy today was rough."

     "You're telling me." Stan piped up as he checked the clock. He grimaced slightly at the time before looking over at the two exhausted teens. Toby had stepped up and helped, calling it a 'Toby Tolerance Gift'. Toby ended up helping Soos fix some broken stuff and then proceeded to help (Y/n) get some Karen's off her back. (Y/n) had dealt with directing customers around and stalking shelves. The two together were an amazing team. Even the sets of twins in the building doubted they could work so smoothly.

     Bill observed from a corner, not bothering to be anything more than be a nuisance in the moments he wasn't spending people watching. He had observed the proxy duo make short work of problems and use their skills to get jobs done. He felt a little annoyed by their closeness. People were always harder to break when they had others to support them. He would have to break those two apart.

     "We... n-need to get home..." Toby mumbled as he glanced out the window. "It's gett-t-ting dark... and you know how... how the... neighbor's pet is like after dar... dark." He was mumbling about the elusive Rake. A hideous creature with long skinny limbs, a matching body, and long horrifying claws that protrude from its hands. It normally didn't attack the inhabitants of the mansions, but the monstrous excuse of a vertebrate was always more aggressive at night.

     "My feet hurt..." (Y/n) wined softly as she begged for just a few more minutes. Toby let out a sigh as he leaned a little of his weight on his (brunette, blonde, ginger, etc) sister, silently complying with her pleas.

     The soft tapping of shoes approached the two adolescents before Stan's voice spoke up. "Hey uh... you kids live a little out of town, right?"

     They nodded.

     "Is there a road leading up to your driveway by any chance?" There was a slight uncertainty in his voice like he wasn't sure about what he was asking. Toby let out a soft chuckle while (Y/n) shook her head. She explained how it was an older building that was surrounded by the surrounding forest.

     "The driveway alone is long and barely acceptable for walking."

     Stan was quiet for a moment as he let out a soft humph. "Well uh... I'm not letting you kids just walk home in the dark. You kids got a cellphone? I don't want your mom or dad worrying and then come banging on my door."

     Toby looked over at (Y/n) while (Y/n) stared up at Stan in surprise. The man IS a softie. Like hell was she passing this up. "Wow, stan... didn't know you cared so much."

     Stan scowled. "Ahhhh shut it, unless you wanna sleep in the mud." He warned.

     The girl raised her hands in defense. "Fine. Fine. I can take a hint." She nudged her brother off of her as she fixed her posture, offering the old man a soft smile. "We'll gladly accept. And we can handle our father." There was a slight pause when she said father, but it was barely noticeable. Mable ran up to the two and grabbed their hands.

     "You guys can stay with me and Dipper! It'll be like a big sleepover!"

     (Y/n) smiled down at her, unable to resist the cuteness. Could you blame her? "Sure kiddo."

     Bill pushed himself off the wall to follow but was stopped by Stan. "Hold it, Dorito man. I said the kids could stay. Not you."

     The blonde scowled at him. "Sorry old man. Where the girl goes, I go."

     "It's true." (Y/n) said, almost disappointed by her own confirmation. "He's been following me about like like a creepy stalker. I'm starting to think I should start using him as a personal bag carrier or something."