Part 26: Midnight Conversation

(Warning: Mentions on miscarriage and a child playing with fire. I know this is a very sensitive subject and I want my readers to be safe in their reading.)

     "Hey. If we're doing this who Q and A tonight... I got a question for you."

     (Y/n) motions with their hand for Bill to go on. Sher head nuzzles into the slightly lumpy pillow that she was given. It felt weird along her skin like it was full of hay that pricked her skin.

     "How did you get pulled into this life?" Bill asks. His head turns towards (Y/n) as she debates how to explain.

     "My earliest memories are obviously kinda hard to remember." (Y/n) says, biting her lip. She hoped Bill didn't notice her lie. "I remember fire... so much of it.... and then I remember moving... a lot."

     (Y/n) Felt a chill go down her back as she closed her eyes.

     There was yelling. And crying. This happened every time (Y/n) tried to show her parents drawings she made of her family. Mama would cry. Papa would tell her to take that "bloody thing away".

     (Y/n) didn't understand that statement. The picture wasn't bloody.

     'you could make it bloody.' Said the voice. It's deep gentle tone always calmed her, even if she thought it said some funny things. It sounded like how she wished Papa would sound.

     Little (y/n) giggled and shook her head. "Noooo, the colors will get messed up."

     'Ah, yes. You are correct, little one.'

     The little girl scurried off to her room, setting the drawing on top of a stack of very similar drawings.

     'Little one, do you like colors? Bright, glowing colors?'

     (Y/n) pulled out a peace of paper and started to draw, nodding along. "Mhm"

     'I know how to make VERY bright colors.'

     The little girl brightened up before eagerly listening to the voice's instructions. 

     'Go to your father's cigar cabinet, next to the couch.'

     She did as told.

     'Do you see the lighter?'

     She nodded and carefully grabbed it before closing the cabinet. She hurried away just as a pair of loud footsteps entered the room. Her Papa let out a long sigh before sitting down. His glass clinked as he shook his adult juice.

     'Now go to the closet.'

     Once again, she did. Her little feet took her upstairs, past her Mama and Papa's bedroom. Mama sat on the bed, turned away from the door. Her gentle sobs could be heard as she cried over a little black and grey photo. (Y/n) stopped.

     "Mama cries for Baby a lot." She whispered to the voice. "I should go hug her."

     'We don't have time, little one. Later.'

     She sighed and nodded before running off to the closet. she opened it and peeked inside. Mama's nice coats hung neatly on racks. Below was the stuff that were going to be Baby's.

     'Do you know how to start the lighter.'

     "Ummmm...." (Y/n) tried a couple of times, having seen her Papa light one. It finally cached and she felt a smile creep to her lips. The light dances in such a way. It captivated her.

     'Hold it to the coat.'

********

    "My parents died apparently."

     Bill was quiet for a moment before laying down as well, he turns to face (Y/n). "I'm sorry. I understand humans struggle when they loose people close to them.

     "I was only five. I don't remember them." (y/n) counters, turning around on the sorry excuse of a bed. Her eyes burn slightly from tears welling up. A lump forms in her throat but she pushes it back. There was no need to cry. They barely had time to be her parents, why should she care about them?

     For a moment it seemed like that would be the end of the night, an awkward silence between the two while (Y/n) tries to forget her mortal family. Then there was a gentle pressure on her side. It moves to her stomach before pulling her back.

     Bill nuzzles his head into her shoulder as he wraps his arm tighter around her. 

     "You do remember them." He spoke. But there didn't seem to be a hint of arrogance behind it. It was a fact yes. And he was stating it as so since he knew. But he wasn't saying it to prove anything.

     "Yeah." (Y/n) responds. Her hand moves over to his. Her nails pick at the fabric of his sleeve.

     "It just hurts to talk about it." He declares again. It's followed by a nod.

     Bill was quiet for a moment before asking, "Does it help if I read your thoughts?"

     (Y/n) thought for a moment. The idea was weird, knowing he's simply snooping through her thoughts, but it was sure better than trying to formulate them. She nods again.

     Bill let his fingers press into her stomach, just enough so (y/n) could feel it. Comforting mortals was hard. It's new. He doesn't quite know what he's doing but knows he should do something. He felt like a snake who had just been given legs. He was lumbering about and stumbling over himself while trying to make sense of his actions.

     "Bill?"

     "Yes?"

     "Can I ask you something?"

     "Well, you just did." 

     Bill felt a sharp pinch to his hand as the girl retaliates, even just slightly. "Ow, alright, what is it?"

     "Why did you pick me to make a deal with?"

     Bill paused for a second. That was a good question after all. "If I had to say, it was because you reminded me of a much more put together me."

     "Explain." (Y/n) voice was quiet and her fingers were still holding Bill's skin, although she wasn't actively pinching. It was clear that she was debating of that was an insult or not.

     "Your chaotic and carefree. I figured you'd be easy to coax into world domination and all that."

     "Still think that?"

     "Not really."

     "Do you still want world domination?"

     "......."

     "......."

     "I'm not sure."