Zane's Backstory

The fire crackled in the middle of the four boys, and it seemed like their only source of light in the dark night. The embers reflecting in Zane's eyes as he stared at it mindlessly. Jay and Kai stared at the blonde, a frown of annoyance growing on the bicyclists face. Cole had removed his coat and laid it on the ground next to him, sitting rather close to the fire.

"Well?" Kai snapped, holding his hand out next to the fire. "What's the big deal? How do you know my sister? You said you'd tell me after we finished setting up camp."

"And I'm wondering where you got the military armor and guns," Jay added.

Zane sighed and looked to the two boys. "It is a long story…"

"We have all night," Kai replied, crossing his arms.

"I suppose that's true…. And if we are going to travel together we should know more about each other. We need to know who we can and can't trust." Zane shifted a little farther from the fire, trying to disappear from their sight, and sighed. "Besides, I must fulfill a promise I made to Kai's father."

"You knew my father?" Kai asked, his eyes growing wide. "You were a miner?"

"He couldn't have been. I worked in the mines and I've never seen anyone who looks like Zane or Kai. Your father couldn't have been a miner, Kai." Cole spoke.

"I wasn't a miner… I was a soldier…. And he was too." Zane spoke softly.

"He was what?" Kai exclaimed.

"That would explain the outfit," Jay commented.

"But how did you meet Kai's father? He was a soldier too?" Cole wondered.

"And why did he lie to Nya and I about being one?" Kai asked.

"Please, allow me to tell you the full story… It will be easier than answering all your questions."

.

(9 years before the present)

The first thing that he remembered was waking up in a hospital.

He had no idea who he was, why he was there, or where he came from. Nobody knew him, not even the man that had brought him in. The man claimed that he was taking his wife to the hospital when he had saw the unconscious teen on the side of the road. The doctors made it seem like the boy had been there a day or two. "It's a miracle he's alive," and "what happened? How did he survive?" they constantly said.

All the boy claimed to remember was his basic information; his name and age. He tried his best to describe what he was feeling, and what he said only puzzled the doctors even more. They occasionally looked at each other like they knew something secret. The boy thought he heard one of the doctors say something about another one like him being in the hospital.

But the boy knew the name of the man who had brought him in. One of the nurses told him, and suggested that once the boy was able to move around that he should find the waiting man and thank him. The boy, though lost his thoughts and quite possibly his home, seemed to place manners before any of his worries, and assured the nurse that he would.

.

Eventually the day came, and the doctors said that the teen was healthy enough to move around on his own. He was excited to finally be able to wonder his location, but he was even more excited to meet the man who had saved his life.

He stood out in the waiting room for a moment, looking around before he spotted someone slouched in a chair, worry full on his face. The man had brown hair that was combed back, but a few follicles were in his face. He had circular glasses that he pushed back on his nose. Just like what the nurse had said he looked like.