thirty six

Everyone knows about Mia's cat allergy - the ice cream shop owner, their neighbour, Jay's mother. Everyone who happened to come across her was sure to remember that despite her allergies, she would not hesitate to drop everything just to pet a stray cat.

That was exactly what she did. She'd been sent out to buy groceries for that evening's dinner and completely dropped all of them on her way home just to run up to a stray cat on the street and pet it. Of course, this was followed by a runny nose, watery eyes, and a couple of sneezes that ended up scaring the cat away. "No, come back," she said, sniffling. She sighed, sneezed again and turned around to grab her groceries, only to realize she had dropped them all. "Fuck," Mia mumbled, sneezing once more. "That's no good."

"I told you this would happen," Sunghoon said, standing next to her. "Did you listen to me? No, you did not." Mia flinched, started. She had completely forgot about her boyfriend's existence the moment her eyes had fallen upon the cat.

"You could've helped me with them," she said, wiping her eyes to stop tears from falling (from the allergies, of course). She walked back towards the place where the groceries had been dropped and started putting them back in their bags. Sunghoon followed after her.

"Do you think Mother Choi will notice you dropped them?" he asked, squatting down as he watched her pick up the groceries, being completely useless.

"Of course she'll notice," Mia said. "But it's okay because you're here."

"Aww, that's nice."

"That's not what I meant," she said, standing up once she had picked up everything. "I mean she won't yell at me because you're here - she has a soft spot for you." Sunghoon scoffed.

They made their way back to Mia's house, Sunghoon forcing her to keep walking everytime she saw a stray cat and Mia throwing a tantrum everytime a cat got away. "It's all your fault!" she whined, stomping her way home. He laughed at her, following behind the girl. "You never let me do anything!"

"Your face is literally about to blow up, Mia," Sunghoon said. "I don't want to be the one to take you to the hospital when you're dying."

"You're exaggerating! I'm not gonna die because of some ca- LOOK!!" Mia shoved the groceries into Sunghoon's arms and ran towards the orange cat crossing the street. "You're so adorable," she cooed, sniffling. "I'm gonna take you home."

"Mia, no-"

"Shhh!" Mia said, glaring at Sunghoon and taking the cat into her arms. "If I die, I die!" She looked back at cat, her eyes red and watery, and kissed it's head, resulting in another sneeze. Sunghoon sighed, gently setting the groceries on the ground and walking towards Mia. He kissed her head, just like she'd done to the cat, before taking the cat away from her and setting it down. He then went back for the groceries, grabbed Mia's hand, and started to walk home.

Mia stared at him. "But the cat..." she mumbled, frowning as a tear slipped from her eye. She wiped it away and sniffled. "I wanted the cat."

"And I don't want you to die," Sunghoon said. "Mother Choi would kill me." They walked in silence, Sunghoon squeezing her hand every once in a while. Mia looked down, sad.

"I'm not gonna die, dummy," she said quietly. Sunghoon squeezed her hand again. He knew she was bummed and hated being allergic to cats, so this was sort of his way of comforting her.

"Do you want to rewatch The Lorax when we get home?" he asked her, attempting to cheer her up. Miraculously, it worked. Mia's sad expression soon disappeared and turned into an excited one - even though she had seen the movie hundreds of times and had practically memorized the entire script.

"Yes, please!" she said, smiling brightly. Sunghoon smiled at her as Mia clung to his arm, humming happily. She reminded him of a child, so giddy and full of energy. He loved that about her.

Sunghoon loved everything about her.

• • •

y'all I know self promotions are annoying bc I literally hate them too but I want to keep you guys happy and updated and fed like all of you should be

I have a heeseung fic that I'm currently working on, on my main account and it's kind of my main focus atm, so updates are a lot more consistent. if you guys want (and only if you want !!!) you can check it out. it's also greatly appreciated lol. my main is shuawons

thank you for dealing with me once again ily guys so much and I hope you're all well