Ch 27 The Opening Ball

Many changes because of my two beta readers, Deb and Diane. Thank you for making the story better, and in this case easier to read as well.

*

Harry looked around at the meeting of the MELL students and their parents and families. He put his wand to his throat, saying 'Sonorus," announcing, "There is going to be an opening dinner and then dance tonight. All of the MELL students are invited to attend along with all of the people in attendance here. Seating is assigned, and it is a formal occasion. If you do not have appropriate dress, please let someone on the staff know."

Harry put his wand back to his throat and said, "Quietu," then turned to Albus and Cleo. "The prophets would like the two of you to come with Mum and me. They would like you to be dressed by the costumers of the Regent."

Rose turned to Scorpius, shaking her head. "It will be interesting to see if they have any better luck with Cleo than I do. I do the best I can, helping her to buy stylish clothes, but between her obsession with pockets and her own choice of what she wants to wear I am not very successful." Scorpius looked sympathetic to Rose's plight as Cleo was dressed today in dress of large cabbage roses and huge pockets that took up the front of her skirt.

*

Harry and Albus went down to the quarters of the Regent in the castle, and into a large men's dressing room. When Harry was first in Switzerland the formal dress was very fancy, medieval looking robes. Harry had insisted that they change to what he still felt were too fancy and decorated but much more modern suits. All his medals and honors were displayed on the jacket, much to Harry's discomfort.

Albus had displayed his unusual magic powers early, and more than once it had been suggested that he be awarded The Order of Merlin for saving lives during these incidents. Albus never talked about this, and it was not widely known. For the first time, there was on Albus's jacket modest but visible markers indicating these actions. The information was not large or showy, but it was there, much to his embarrassment.

*

One of the ladies that maintained the costumes for the Regents came into the room where Ginny, Jane and Minerva were and told them, "Ginny, you have to get ready for the ball tonight."

Jane panicked. "Do I have to go to a ball? I do not have a dress for a ball, and I have no idea how to behave. I'm not ready for a ball."

You are staying here with Minerva and an aide." Ginny reassured Jane, resisting the urge to say 'Yes, Cinderella' to Jane. They could easily get a dress for Jane, but emotionally Jane was probably not ready for a ball.

Ginny, Jane and Minerva went into a large dressing room, where a witch washed Ginny's hair. Jane noticed that the shampoo bottle had Mrs. Potter's name on it and picked it up. Ginny remarked, "I made my own shampoo. The scent is custom."

Jane noticed that the scent, although feminine, was a little sharper than most of the female scents she was aware of. She noticed that the hairdresser finished up with some Cover Witch Cosmetics 'Colour Just the Gray' from a bottle that also had Mrs. Potter's name on it.

The hairdo that that Ginny ended up with was much more sophisticated than the way she usually wore her hair. She wore an incredible tiara.

Eventually Cleo was led into the room. The hairdresser looked skeptically at the two large plaits, took them out, and washed Cleo's hair. It was thick, seldom straight but not uniformly curled. The witch tried to put it up in a bun or otherwise corral it. She tried one large, more sophisticated plait, but it did not look like Cleo. She finally put it back in the two big plaits intertwined with many smaller intricate braids and beads. She then took Cleo into a big room where the three witches were just finishing dressing Ginny in a very fancy dress that did not hide that she was heavy but emphasized all her curves. Ginny looked like a prosperous middle-age mother.