Chapter Six

“No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time.”  ― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

“So explain to me again, why I’m here?” Dylan groaned, sitting next to me on the bench of the shoe store while I tried on shoes.

     “Because I go on all those stupid adventures with you, so now you come on my type of adventure,” I replied, tying the pair of boots I was trying on. I got up and looked in the mirror to see if I liked the way they looked.

     “But when you’re on our type of adventure you have fun,” he whined, “I’m not having any fun.”

      “It’s as fun as you want it to be,” I shrugged, and began removing the boots.

     “You should get those boots in grey instead of brown,” Crispin said to me from where he at stood leaning at the end of the aisle.

      “I was thinking the same thing,” I said, throwing the boots back in the box and went to see if they had the boots in grey.

      “You know what I’m thinking about?” Dylan called to me.

      “Leaving?” I guessed.

      “Wow, we’re thinking the same thing! It’s meant to be. We can leave,” Dylan whooped and got up.

      “I’m not done, but bye,” I waved not looking at him. I heard him sit back down on the bench and tap his foot impatiently.

      “How long does this take to pick out a pair of damn shoes?” he moaned.

      “As long as I want it to take.”

      “You’re a bitch you know that, right?”

     “If I didn’t then I’d assume I wouldn’t know myself.”

      “Would you stop being annoying?” he groaned.

      “Would you stop complaining? I sat at the library for two hours while you and Crispin had fun with the puppets,” I countered.

       “But didn’t you have fun too?” he whined.

      “Not really.”

      “We’ll leave as soon as Aislinn gets her shoes,” Crispin reassured Dylan.

      “Whatever.”

     “Where do you guys want to go for lunch?” I asked, pulling the shoebox off the shelf.

     “Wherever you want. I’m treating,” Crispin said, stretching his arms above his head.

     “No, I am,” I objected walking over to the check-out counter.

     “Don’t be silly, the girl never pays.”

     “If I remember correctly that’s being sexist if one believes that the guy pays even when the girl asks them out,” I rolled my eyes and grinned at him.

     “The circumstances have changed,” he shrugged.

     “Well I don’t care who pays, I just want food,” Dylan yawned following us.

     “How about you pay?” I asked turning to him.

     “I paid for roller skating,” he replied.

     “I paid for ice cream,” I countered.

     “You offered to pay,” he stuck his tongue out.