⇒ UNSTEADY

☼☼☼☼☼☼

☼☼☼☼☼☼

"AGAIN!" REYKA ORDERED, another Squaller and Inferni moved up the line, barely older than eighteen and greener still. This unit was newer, more volatile. She was just grateful that Vadoma hadn't been drafted to the front yet. She thought of her friend back at the Little Palace, trying to earn an amplifier to help gain control of the burning substance that surrounded them.

Reyka dodged a burst of flame, the Inferni completely missing their mark. Reyka raised her hand and motioned for them to stop. "Enough!"

She smoothed down her blue kefta, the standard blue embroidery betraying nothing except her status as a Tidemaker. The Darkling would have her wear her white one as a symbol of status, but Reyka had learned a long time ago that Grisha respected equality, not status. Besides, no one would talk to her if they knew she was in the Darkling's pocket. This way she was one of them, and no one was the wiser. She faced the new recruits and prepared to speak.

"In case you haven't noticed, this is not the Little Palace," Reyka's voice was loud and commanding, drawing the attention of all the young Summoners, "To cross the fold you will need more than the ability to summon fire or wind from the world around you. You will need to control it. And right now you have the same level of control as the Fold itself."

Shame fell over the soldier's faces.

Reyka dismissed them and moved to clean up the training yard, moving the dummies aside and sweeping up the ash leftover from those that hadn't been saved by the Squallers.

"The great Ice Summoner, reduced to cleaning up after green recruits."

Reyka bit her cheek at the sound of Ivan's voice, plastering a saccharine smile on her face as she faced the Heartrender, "What's wrong Ivan? Upset your former fuck usupred your position as military dictator?"

Ivan scoffed and crossed his arms, "Everyone wanted a taste of Suli," he sneered, "Claimed you resembled the animals you worshiped in bed."

Reyka rolled her eyes, the boiling sensation in her veins a familiar feeling whenever the heartrender was around. Ivan smirked, knowing that he could feel everything she was feeling right now. She tossed the broom his way, "Here, perhaps cleaning up my mess will get you the General's approval," She smacked into his shoulder on her way out, "Maybe it might even get you an invitation to his bed." She taunted, relishing in the redness that flooded Ivan's face, "And we don't worship animals!" Reyka yelled, refusing to meet his gaze as she stormed away.

She headed straight for the Darkling's tent, ready to give her debrief on the new recruits, although she wasn't sure what kind of information he was after. The Second Army was loyal to him, he was their general. Not to mention all of the recruits were newer, they had no chance to form bonds with anyone else. They were all intimidated by him. There was nothing to worry about.