⇒ WAXING

☼☼☼☼☼☼

☼☼☼☼☼☼

ALINA STARED OUT at the courtyard of the Little Palace, the rushing water of the fountain in the center the only sound she could hear. A lump swelled up in her throat. It blocked her airway, making breathing harder than she was used to. She had just met the King. She had just been presented as the hope of all Ravka and yet a few hours ago she'd been sporting a horrible bruise and being told she smelled like horse. Her eyes drifted to the scar on her hand. Mal hadn't been allowed into the Grand Palace. It would be seen as bad form for the King to take credit for a deserter saving the future savior of Ravka. Instead Alina had been forced to show off her newfound power in front of thousands of court members and the royal family. Alone.

Well, perhaps not alone. Reyka Kovacs stood behind her and the Darkling beside her.

Still Alina always found her thoughts drifting toward Mal, wishing he'd been there with her.

Her brows furrowed as she recalled the horrified expression on his face when she'd said goodbye at Kribirsk. How he hadn't believed her when she said she didn't know she was Grisha.

Perhaps it had been a good thing he hadn't been there.

"You okay?" She froze and turned to face the boy from her thoughts, the one person she could always count on to be there for her. Mal stood there as if summoned by her thoughts, his ragged First Army uniform washed and mended, curls shearn short.

She twisted her lips at the sight. Mal's curls were her favorite feature of his, and Alina's chest tugged a bit at the realization that they'd been taken from him. He'd been sucked in and spat out just like she had.

"No, but I don't think I really have a choice." Alina admitted, her stomach flipping over at the idea. Her eyes drifted off into the distance, glimpsing a blue kefta with grey lining through the bubbling water of the fountain. Her chest twisted. Zoya Nazyalensky, Alina recalled.

She'd been the one to report Alina's miracle to the Darkling.

The one who'd embraced her and told her to go back to the orphanage.

The one who'd propositioned Mal.

"You're making new friends." Alina prodded, hoping she didn't sound as bitter as she felt.

Mal sat down on the bench beside her, letting out a tight sigh. He turned to meet her gaze as he crunched his hat in his hands, "Nah, she just can't take a hint."

Alina giggled softly at that, a small smile tugging at her lips. Her eyes flitted to the floor before meeting Mal's once again.

Her stomach flopped over again, but this time the source of her nerves was the boy beside her. She wouldn't have given him up for the world. She was grateful she didn't have to. Mal stared out at the courtyard, wrinkles forming in his forehead as he refused to meet her gaze. "Kirigan's recruited me for a tracking mission," He admitted, and Alina felt her heart sink into her stomach.