Last Quarter

At the end of the month, screams could be heard throughout the top floor of the Little Palace, mostly coming from within the Darkling's war room. The oprichniki had already taken bets on how long it would last, and most of the Second Army didn't even seem that bothered by it.

Perhaps because it hadn't been the first time Reyka Kovacs had yelled at the General and it certainly would not be the last.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Her chest heaved up and down, fists clenched together hard enough for a dull ache to settle in her muscles. "You're sending me on a wild goose chase? The same wild goose chase I called you out on not two weeks ago?"

The Darkling sighed and hung his head between his arms, "I have all the faith in the saints that you will make it back alive."

His voice was weary, as if he'd rehearsed the same words in the mirror over and over again. Reyka scoffed mirthlessly, "Great, the faithless Darkling turning to the saints, that makes me feel so much better." Her words were bitter and resentful, much like the rest of her these past couple weeks. She couldn't remember the last time she'd felt anything else.

"I'm not faithless," He protested, meeting her gaze. For a moment she thought she saw that lonely boy who'd appeared in her room make an appearance. But it faded. He turned his gaze back to the war table, "Not yet anyway."

Reyka scoffed, "So that's it? You're not even gonna hear me out?"

"I don't need to," He spoke assuredly, straightening up from his position. His footsteps echoed through the empty room, kefta swirling around his legs, "You are a member of the Second Army, and under my command," slate stared into violet, "And therefore if I tell you to go on a wild goose chase," His lips spat out the phrase bitterly, "then you shall go."

She huffed, blowing a stray curl from her forehead. "Have fun seducing a teenager," She growled, turning on her heel and storming out of the room, not even able to relish the sheer shock and anger that had begun to form on the Darkling's face as she did so.

This was insanity.

Even if the Stag did exist, there was no reason to use it when Alina was already starting to get further ahead in her training.

But none of it mattered anyway, cause she was a soldier and she would do as she was told. Or at least, she would if it meant keeping her spot as a highly respected member of the Second Army.

"You look happy," Zoya's voice interrupted her thoughts, her deadpan tone seemed to match Reyka's attitude and both girls huffed as they continue to walk toward the training pavilion.

"Ecstatic," Reyka replied, rolling her eyes.

Zoya smirked and turned toward her friend, "What'd Kirigan do this time?"