𝐢𝐯. 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞

( 𝘨𝘪𝘧: 𝘬𝘢𝘻 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘻𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘥𝘰𝘱𝘵 𝘢 𝘨𝘰𝘢𝘵 )

𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐈𝐒 𝐀 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐄

𝒂𝒍𝒔𝒐 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒏 𝒂𝒔 : 𝒆𝒑𝒊𝒔𝒐𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 - 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅

𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐

𝐊𝐀𝐙 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐊𝐊𝐄𝐑 was unsure, a feeling he wasn't used to.

Not unsure about the mission. He knew Arken would offer them passage across the Fold, yet the reason behind that was not because he wanted to help the group of crows, but a certain West Ravkan leader. However, Kaz had a plan to use that at his advantage. Keeping his cards close to his chest is something that helped him rather than damaged it.

What caused that feeling of uncertainty was Azure. 

Even Jesper and Inej had questioned him when the three had been alone. Who was she? Why was Kaz so convinced he had to bring her alone? It's been years since he last saw her, was she to be trusted? 

Jesper seemed to be more at ease at the idea of bringing Azure along, stating 'the more the merrier'. But the flirty wink he had sent after saying that made Inej roll her eyes, and for Kaz's jaw to clench. He hated emotions he didn't understand. It was easy to read them in someone else, but in himself? There was a reason he kept everyone at arm's length. 

And Kaz wasn't even sure of the reason why he had brought Azure along. Sure, she had an amazing talent with creating and detecting different kinds of poison. And while that was the excuse he told everyone else, Kaz knew in his gut that he was only lying to himself. He wasn't a hero. He could never save Azure from a bad life. He could take her away from her horrible father, but then what? Invite her to stay in the Crow Club? Live a life of a criminal?