MID90s

MID90s

MID90'S

MID90'S

Katherine Berkeley dies on a cold night at the ripe age of twenty one just as she's driving down a highway in Tacoma on the way to her best friend's baby shower. She's just graduated college as a biochemist when her car suddenly mechanically loses control of itself and she crashes through the guard rails, the car rolling down the grassy hill and submerging itself partially underwater. Katherine, who had momentarily taken her seatbelt off to adjust it, goes flying out of the windshield, the glass imbedding itself deep into her abdomen as she sails in the air and into the lake, sinking downwards. The water fills her lungs, mimicking the feeling of swallowing whole boxes of charcoal and ripping through her esophagus. On the empty road, with the openness of the land around her, nobody is there to see Katherine Berkeley drown. Nobody sees the lack of ice on the road, the control she had over the car, how unlikely it was that she lost control of it. When local law enforcement arrive on the scene, despite digging through the lake for her body and coming up empty, and knowing full well her car is new and unlikely to mechanically malfunction, they rule it an accident gone horribly wrong due to lack of attention span on the winding road where no cameras were shown at night, and on April sixth at 11:47 in the morning, missing body or not, Katherine Berkeley is officially pronounced dead.

On April sixth just as afternoon trickles in and local law enforcement has dug the car out of the river, and as they leave to inform Katherine Berkeley's only family, her father, of her tragic demise, a black Lexus is seen leaving the scene of the accident in the midst of all the cop cars and drivers passing on the now busy open road during the day. The black Lexus carries two passengers — the driver grips the wheel tightly as they pass, and in the back the second passenger lays on the seat trying to take in air, her chest heaving from all the water that's soaked through her lungs and her blonde hair matted again the sides of her face. That is the last that is ever seen of Katherine Berkeley.