one: THE LIVING AND THE LIVING DEAD.

CHAPTER ONE
—— the living and the living dead
(season 5, episode 16: MOSLEY LANE)

CHAPTER ONE —— the living and the living dead (season 5, episode 16: MOSLEY LANE)

RYNE BECKETT

RYNE BECKETT

There are many things that Ryne is — intelligent, resourceful, cunning, a little bit narcissistic.

However, one thing she should not be, is alive.

The last thing she remembers of her old life is being plunged into the surface of a Tacoma lake, the cold freezing her from her skin down to the absolute core of her bones. It was a chilling kind of feeling, being awake both as she went through the windshield, the glass scratching her abdomen, and as she was launched in the air towards the lake. It was the same feeling you get when you reach the climax of a rollercoaster (Ryne remembers it from all the times her father had taken her as a child) but with the added feeling of absolute fear instead of content, knowing that this ride was not mechanically safe and would definitely kill you. Her life certainly had not flashed before her eyes or anything like that, she didn't see the memories of the people she most loved or what could have been and she walked towards no brilliant bright white light in the few seconds she remained unconscious underwater. What she does remember is the feeling of her eyes being reopened not even three seconds after the plunge down, the charcoal like water that had made it's way down her throat and through her esophagus making it quite difficult to breathe as she gritted her teeth and pushed her way to the top as quickly as possible.

The first breath she took when she reached the top had to be a miracle of life, she had sworn it. Nobody should have realistically survived a crash like that. She remembers being able to blurringly see her car completely damaged and wrapped around a tree — if she had been tightly secured in there, she would have been most certainly dead right now. Most of all, she remembers that she has no idea what caused her to crash, to swerve all the way from one side of the road through a grassy field and crash so far down here — it hadn't been distraction, it hadn't been the dark, nor an animal or because she was tired. One second she had been adjusting her seatbelt as she drove down the straight road and the next it was like her car was swerving on its own despite her holding the steering wheel steady and straight, and the brakes would not function and the car was going down and down and down, and then she was flying out of the car and time had stopped until she hit the lake.