three: A SHELL OF MY PAST SELF.

CHAPTER THREE
——— a shell of my past self
(season 5, episode 16MOSLEY LANE)

CHAPTER THREE——— a shell of my past self(season 5, episode 16:  MOSLEY LANE)

RYNE BECKETT

RYNE BECKETT

For a mildly renowned federal agent who carries around a gun and runs into the slightest flash of danger, Ryne hates conflict.

She wonders if she's always despised it — she can't remember that far back. There were times as a child when her parents happy, go lucky marriage wasn't all that it was cut out to be, and she'd sit on the top step of the stairs, listening to them argue in the kitchen about who would pay the next bill, and where seven year old Ryne would go when they were both out of the house working. It was why her mother had ended up taking a work from home job in the end — she hadn't wanted to Ryne to come back to an empty home after school each day. Things had been bad for a while — then they had gotten better, and then they had gotten worse.

Ryne hated conflict in her sophomore year of high school, she was sure of that. That was the year that her and Lily had started growing up, and taking an interest in boys — it was also the year they had their biggest falling out. Ryne hadn't been the most trend setting kid in high school, that was for sure — she preferred the drums to dancing, the library to the middle of the cafeteria. Lily, on the other hand, had been a full blown cheerleader alongside the ones that made fun of Ryne in the middle of the hallway. It wasn't to say that Ryne didn't have a few special words for those cheerleaders, because even back then she had the same backbone she holds now, or that Lily didn't defend her every single time, but for that period of time Ryne remembers the rift that had driven between them, causing an awkward tension to spread through every room they were simultaneously in.

When they had eventually resolved it before the beginning of junior year, Ryne had all but let out several breaths of relief, conflict finally leaving her system.