Part 4

(Y/n) P.O.V.

I stare up at the towering walls, feeling unconvinced and more than a little uneasy. I don't like the idea of them creating a new species. "We've been pre-booking tickets for months. The park needs a new attraction every few years in order to reinvigorate the public's interest. Kinda like the space program." Claire explains. "Corporate felt genetic modification would up the 'wow' factor."

"They're dinosaurs. 'Wow' enough." Owen retorts. "Nah, they're just extinct animals is all." I reply sarcastically. "According to our focus groups. The Indominus rex makes us relevant again." Owen starts laughing. "The Indominus rex!" He mocks. I chuckle at his shenanigans. "We needed something scary and easy to pronounce. You should hear a four year old try to say Archaeornithomimus." I shake my head like the information was too much to process. "Excuse me, what?" She gives me an unamused look. I shrug. "You were always the bookworm. Too confusing for me."

"It's not that hard, (Y/n). Arch-aeor-nitro-mimus." She says slowly. "You should hear you try to say it." Owen mutters. I snort. Claire looks completely done with our shit. I hear her mutter, 'Perfect for each other...' but if Owen heard it, he doesn't show it. We enter the observation room. Besides us, there's only one man present. Claire leads us over to one of the windows. I look out into the dense jungle territory, but find no dinosaur. "What's this thing made of?" Owen asks.

"The base genome is a T-Rex, the rest is... classified." Claire responds, seeming impatient. "You made a new dinosaur, but you don't even know what it is?" Owen groans. "That's gonna bite you in the ass. Probably literally." I note. "The lab delivers us new assets and we show them to public." She say defensively. "Can we drop a steer, please?" She asks the other man. "How long has the animal been in here?"

"All its life."

"Never seen anything outside of these walls?" I ask incredulously. "We can't exactly walk it." She retorts. There's a rumbling noise outside and a huge crane lowers a hunk of beef down from above. Owen points at it. "And you feed it with that?" Claire isn't getting the hint, seeming bemused. "Is there a problem?"

"Animals raised in isolation aren't always the most functional." Owen informs. "Not only that, but if this thing is as big as a T-Rex, my guess is bigger, this paddock is not a optimal size for it. It needs room to roam like all animals. Aren't there rules for that?" I rant. "Your raptors are born in captivity, smaller size paddock." Claire mentions. "With siblings. They learn social skills. And we imprint on them when they're born. There's trust. The only positive relationship this animal has is with that crane."

"At least she knows that means food." I agree. "Im sorry, but did the lab really only make one? I would have figured they'd have made a backup." Claire looks at me like she knows I'm not going to like what she's about to say. "It had a sibling." I already know I don't like it. "And?"

"She ate it." I scoff. "Bet that's what you wish you did to me in the womb." She rolls her eyes at me. "Sometimes." I share a dubious look with Owen. I'm glad Owen seems concerned because I'm worried this is a bad idea. But Claire isn't sharing that opinion. She adopts a very patronizing, sarcastic tone. "So she needs a friend? We should schedule play dates? That sort of thing?" I scoff at her. "Probably not a good idea." Owen says darkly. Now noticing the dinosaur hasn't emerged from the jungle to eat the meat, Claire leans over and taps on the glass. "Where is it?"

"What, is it in the basement? Is there a downstairs? Maybe it's in the rec room." Owen jokes. "It's guest starring in an episode of Parks and Recreation." I continue, seeming matter-of-fact. Claire gives me a side glare, but doesn't mention anything. "It was just here. We were just here." She goes to one of the consoles and activates it. It performs a scan of the jungle. After a moment it emits an annoyed buzzing sound and flashes the readout 'No Thermal Signatures Detected.' Oh boy, that's not good. The other computer screens arranged around the room begin beeping in alarm and they all show the same words.

I look back at Owen who is looking out a window at the far end of the room. "That doesn't make any sense. These doors haven't been opened in weeks." The man mutters. Owen points out the window. "Were those claw marks always there?" I walk over, dread settling in stomach. I look to where he's pointing where the wall adorns long and deep claw marks. "You think it...?" Finally, Claire appears concerned. "Oh, God! She has an implant in her back! I can track it from the control room!" She starts running out of the room. "This isn't good." I say gravely. "Should we check it out?" Owen asks.

"What if it's still in there?" I question. "There's no way. It would have popped up on the scanners." Owen argues. I concede, and the man, Nick as I learn, comes with us into the paddock. Warily, I follow them through the dense jungle to the back wall. Another worker is in here, inspecting the marks. Owen immediately runs his hands along the marks. I keep a small distance from them, alert and scanning every inch I can see. "That wall's forty feet high. You really think she could've climbed out?" Nick asks. "Depends..." I respond absentmindedly. "On what?"

"What kinda dinosaur they cooked up in that lab." Owen answers for me. Nicks radio starts going off, but the voice is distorted and spaced out. "...area... ...Paddock 11... ...dock 11, do you copy..." He answers casually. "Yeah, what's the problem?" I start feeling even worse. "We should leave." I hiss. "It's in the cage! It's in there with you!" The voice finally gets through. My eyes widen in fear. "Go!" I order.

We all begin running for the door they entered through. Nick is the farthest behind, and my Cross Country trained ass is in front. The Indominus rex emerges from the jungle and blocks our escape. It bellows with a mighty roar, and I nearly trip over myself as I try to quickly turn around. Me being the closest, it nearly snatches me, but I barely get past the worker, which means it grabs him instead. I hear his screams as he's taken, the horrifying crunch of bones, and despite feeling guilty, I keep running out of fear.

Reaching the back door, Nick uses a handprint ID and a security code to override the door lock. The huge door begins to open. Not good, Not good! This thing is about to get out. I start feeling less concerned about that as the door closes, but then realize Owen and I have a short window of opportunity. The huge predator gains on us as we near the door, and I pump my legs as fast as they can move. "Shit!"

I rush through, Owen just behind. Workers rush around in a wild panic, trying to escape. I look over my shoulder to see the Indominus gets halfway through before the door closes on her. Her head and one arm stick free and she snaps her jaws at Owen, but I pull him towards me before she can get him. The door starts cracking. She's stronger then it. Owen grabs me, and rolls us under a car. We lie on our sides, pressed against each other tightly, our labored breaths matching each other's.

Owen looks wide eyed at something behind me. I can't see what he's looking at, but I doubt I want to know. I hear the growl of the Indominus, whimpering, booming steps, a crash, and finally another sickening crunch. Acting quickly, Owen draws a survival knife. Reaching up, he grabs the cars fuel line and hacks desperately at it with his blade until he finally slices through it. Once it's ruptured and spewing gasoline, he pours it all over me and himself. I understand he's trying to mask our scent, so I help spread it onto our clothes and skin. I look over my shoulder quietly. The Indominus now approaches the van, crouches down on all fours, and sniffs. I can feel the air rush towards it as it breathes in. We lie perfectly still as the dinosaur's bloodied jaws inch closer and closer...until finally she withdraws, rising up out of view, and walks away.

Slowly, Owen lifts his head, watching her go, her thudding footsteps retreating into the distance. Shivering, he lies back down and exhales in relief. I let out a trembling breath. I didn't realize I was holding my breath. I bite my lip in fear, too stunned to move quite yet. Owen grabs me, and pulls me closer. His embrace is tight and comforting. I relish the feeling, wishing I could wake up and this breach is all a nightmare. I don't realize I've started crying, silently, until Owen kisses the top of my head and mutters reassurances. "I've got you, I've got you."