Chapter 2

(Y/n) P.O.V.

I finally get the main building, and go inside to look for them. I can't see past much of the crowd, but I hear a distinct, "Gray, is that you?" It's Claire, and I'm confused. Shouldn't she be with them already? I look over to some stairs, and she her walking down while on her phone. Agitated, I go over to her. "Aunt Claire!" Gray calls. I get to the clearing to see Gray hug her as she hangs up the phone. She is clearly happy, though unsure of how to respond, and awkwardly hugs him back. Zach ambles up, still looking moody as ever with his hands stuffed into his pockets. "Oh, oh, my gosh, you're so-- you're so sweet!" Claire says. Along with Zach, a black haired woman walks up with them. I recognize her as Zara, someone Claire keeps around. I wouldn't exactly call them friends nor coworkers. "Whoa, Zach! Last time I saw you, you were like..." She holds a hand at about roughly Gray's height. I roll my eyes, making my way over to them.

"That must've been, what? Three, four years ago?" Claire asks. "Seven actually." I butt in. She looks at me in surprise, then gives that look from when we were kids that she used when she was busted. Zach smiles very faintly at me. "But, you know, close." He adds. Gray excitedly hugs me. I hug him tightly back. "It's so good to see you! I've missed you so much." I exclaim. Ignoring me, Claire starts speaking to them. "So I see you already got your wristbands and this is for food." She says, handing Gray an envelope. I look at it in confusion, then realize that she isn't going to be with them today. "And Zara here is going to take great care of you until I'm done working tonight, okay?" I look over at Zara who disinterestedly glances up from her phone. "You're not coming with us?" A disappointed Gray asks. "Oh, um, I really wish that I could, but tomorrow I can take you into the control room, show you behind the scenes and all of that. That's... that's gonna be cool, right?"

"Claire! Sidebar." I growl. She huffs a little, annoyed at me, it goes with me anyways. "What the hell, Claire, you said you would take them today! And tomorrow? That's my day with them." I point out. "I know, I just have so much going on today, and I couldn't-"

"Couldn't make time for your family, same as always." I retort. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means, Claire, that you haven't seen the boys in seven years, have shown little interest in them or Karen, or even me. We've been working on the same goddamn island and not once have we actually gotten together for a dinner or something. Show some time for your family. I know you care about us, but we want to be shown that." She looks down in shame. "And if you really couldn't, you should have told me, so that I could take them today." She gives me an angry look. "Why would I do that? You'd just lecture me like you are right now. I don't need your help, (Y/n). It's my day today, so I'll be going about it how I please. You can have them tomorrow, I'll spend the evening with them. I don't need you to come in with the rescue. I have it under control." She angrily walks back over to the boys.

Before she can say anything her phone rings again. "Okay, so I will see you tonight at, uh...uh, six."

"No, no, don't forget you have the..."

"Right, of course. I will see you tonight at eight. What time do you go to sleep? Or, or, do you go to sleep at different times?" I face palm, walking over. The boys don't respond. They're stony-faced. Her phone continues ringing insistently. She checks it. "Okay, so, um, have fun. And take very good care of them." She says to Zara. She gives me a pointed look before walking away. I'm pissed. This isn't a fight I can win. She's always been so stubborn. I turn back to the boys. "Well..." I look at Zara. "I'll have you two tomorrow. And I'll actually be there." I mumble that last part. I hug Gray once more. "Have fun, okay? I'd take you today, but Claire's got Miss No Soul around to snitch on me if I do." I whisper to Zach. He nods, smiling. "Oh and don't think this wasn't going to happen." Before he can respond, I hug him. He doesn't hug back, but I'm not phased by that fact. "You guys are old enough, hm? Go on all the rides I've been on a thousand times." I laugh, but it's hollow. "If you need anything, you have my number. I'll get out of work if you decide you want me there." They nod. "See you later boys...And be nice to each other." I call excitedly as they leave. Once they're gone, my mood turns sour again. Dammit Claire...