Part 5

(Y/n) P.O.V.

"I need to see a badge. Sir, Ma'am, I need to see a badge." The security guards tries to stop us, but we walk right on past him with angry determination. That's enough to get him to stop. "What the happened out there?" Owen demands once inside the control room. "There are thermal cameras all over that paddock. She did not just disappear!"

"It must have been some kind of a technical malfunction." Claire says with a sigh. "Were you not watching? She marked up that wall as distraction. She wanted us to think she escaped!" I snap. "Hold on. We are talking about an animal here." Claire scoffs. "A highly intelligent animal." Owen retorts. "400 meters to the beacon." A woman nearby calls out. I now notice the cameras show the stun devices which the team are armed with. "You're going after her with non-lethals." Owen says disappointedly. "We have $26 million invested in that asset. We can't just kill it!" Masrani argues. Just when I thought he had common sense. "Those men are gonna die." I hiss.

"300 meters to the beacon."

"You need to call this mission off right now." Owen demands. "They're right on top of it." I grab Claire by the shoulder, desperate to get my point across. "Call it off right now." I plead. "You are not in control here!" She snaps at me. "Claire, please!" On the cameras, the commander picks up the tracking implant from the ground, the team members wary. I frown grimly. "Blood's not clotted yet. It's close."

"What is that?" Masrani asks. "That's her tracking implant. She clawed it out." Owen says. "How would it know to do that?" Claire asks in disbelief. "She remembered where they put it in."

"Still think we're dealing with just some animal?" I mock. Meanwhile, the commander notices blood dripping onto his arm. He backs away as the Indominus comes into view. The camera pulls back to show it is exactly the same colour as the foliage. "It can camouflage!"

The team races for safety as the Indominus rex picks the commander up. Some members of the team hit it with all their stun weapons and the creature drops the commander. Alive, he is crushed as the Indominus stomps on him. The entire room watches in silence and horror. It's a massacre. Each man is torn, clawed, thrown. Killed. "Evacuate the island." Owen demands once the slaughter concludes. "We'd never reopen." Claire argues. "You made a genetic hybrid, raised it in captivity. She is seeing all of this for the first time. She does not even know what she is. She will kill everything that moves."

"Do you think the animal is contemplating its own existence?" Masrani asks sarcastically. "No, but your team clearly didn't do their part to avoid this. They did nothing to work behaviorally, trapped her in too small of a space, made a dinosaur where they can't expect anything because they mixed a bunch of shit in a tube! You're not understanding the severity of the situation, Masrani. This isn't a fight mankind can win. The dinosaur is the apex predator, and we're all prey. We cannot allow her to keep roaming with this many people of the island." I rant.

"She is learning where she fits in the food chain, and I'm not sure you want her to figure that out. Now, Asset Containment can use live ammunition in an emergency situation. You have an M134 in your armory. Put it on a chopper and smoke this thing!" Owen backs me up. "We have families here. I'm not gonna turn this place into some kind of a war zone!" Claire yells. "Yeah. Well, you already have!"

"Mr. Grady, if you're not gonna help, there's no reason for you to be in here." I glare at Claire. "We're probably you're greatest help right now."

"Why can't you ever back me up? Why are you always against me?" She shouts. "Maybe I would be if there weren't hundreds of lives at stake, including those of our nephews!" Owen approaches a tech guys desk and his hand sweeps across the table, causing something to fall into the garbage bin. "I would have a word with your people in the lab. That thing out there, that's no dinosaur." Owen glares at Masrani. He grabs my shoulder and leads me out. "Shit! I have no clue where the boys are. Give me one second, Owen." He stops, his face twisted in anger, and nods. I call Zach, and after a few rigs, he responds. "Zach, thank God. Is Gray with you?"

"I can't really hear you. We're in the hamster ball." Gyrospheres. "Okay. Zach, listen to me. I need you to get back to the field and go back to your hotel. Do you hear me? Zach?" His voice doesn't come through, and he hangs up. "Zach!" I look up to see Owen arguing with yet another security guard. "Do you think I'm the one you need to be worried about right now? Back off!" I run up to him, grabbing his arm desperately. "We need to go, now! My nephews!" Just then, Claire's voice rings out. "Owen, (Y/n), I need you. I need your help. Our nephews, they're out in the Valley. Please, if anything happens to them..." She rants.

"I told you to let them come with me. Goddammit, Claire!"

"Well you still didn't take them!"

"Are you being serious right now?"

"I'm sorry, I know I let pride in the way, but don't you think I feel bad enough?" Owen leads us away from the crowd. "How old?" He asks. "The older one, he's um.. he's uh..high school age. The younger one, he's...um, He's a few years..." I watch her stutter with a confused look. "You don't know how old your nephews are?" I cut in. "Sixteen and twelve." Anxiety and anger bubbles in me. "We need to go. We have to find them now!"