Chapter 11

Here's chapter 11! I know, i know, you're probably thinking finally! I am too. I did not expect this chapter to take so long to write and I can only promise to update much faster in the future! This chapter is a little intense so I really hope you like it and after waiting so long, I hope I haven't let you down. :] 

Chapter 11

The driver of the truck slams on the breaks with little regard for the seatbeltless passengers in the bed as we arrive at their camp. And the word camp may be an understatement. This place is…impressive.

I do my best to keep my jaw firmly closed and my expression indifferent. I do not want to be impressed by these people and I certainly don’t want them knowing I am.

But it’s huge. At least compared to ours it is.

We park between a minivan and Jeep that I can only assume are still in working condition. A couple other cars that I only get a glimpse of parked in he grass too. Five vehicles. We’ve gone months without seeing a single running car and these people have five. If we could just get our hands on one of them…

The driver pulls the keys from the transmission and I watch as he places them between the visor and ceiling. It’s a smart move, I guess, to keep the keys so accessible. That way if there’s ever need for a quick getaway, anyone can drive.

I nudge Hunter and raise my eyebrows in the direction of the cab, hoping he noticed the lack of automobile security as well. Discreetly, he nods once letting me know that he noticed it too. If we can get out and get to a car, we’ll be set.

The man in the back with us orders Hunter out and then jumps out without a second thought to me, still tied to the truck. Hunter follows the order, figuring it best not to make too much of a fuss for now at least. He stands by the bed, reluctant to put much distance between us.

When the man nudges at Hunter and pushes him away from the truck, I think maybe they’ll just leave me out here. It wouldn’t be such a bad thing if they forgot about me. But then the driver, the worst of them, walks around and unties the rope that connected to the bed of the truck. He tugs at it silently ordering me to follow along.  

We walk through a gate, the entrance to their base. The camp is surprisingly well maintained. Tall fencing surrounds us and has barbed wire at the top for extra precaution. Vaguely, I wonder if the measure was taken to keep creeps out or to keep captives in. It doesn’t really matter though. It works both ways I guess. I certainly won’t be attempting to scale a barbed wire fence.

Their tents put our little popup tents to shame. There are maybe five that are huge, tall enough to walk into standing up and big enough to sleep a dozen men. A few smaller tents are set up amidst the larger ones and all in all I count eleven. Eleven tents.

As much as I hate to admit it, Hunter was probably right when he said that Atlas was safer here. At least he’s safer here from the creeps. We all would be. But I don’t know if it’s worth it to be safe from the dead but vulnerable to the living. It’s not a good trade.

As I’m dragged through camp, I look around surveying each person I see in hopes of spotting Atlas. Unfortunately his mop of brown hair isn’t all that unique and every tall, thin guy looks like Atlas to me. I don’t realize I’ve been separated from Hunter until he’s nowhere to be seen. I can only hope he kept a better eye on where I’m being taken than I did on him.

We come to a stop at one of the smaller tents. It’s still tall enough to walk in standing up and could probably fit several men, but it’s definitely not a huge tent. The man grins widely at me, showing off yellowed teeth, and then pushes on arm through the flap and opens the tent.